Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2012/09/04 23:05:36 UTC

SGD model sizes

Hi,

I'm wondering if any has any rules of thumb around model size and memory usage for SGD?  I'm doing some testing of it myself, but thought I would ask to see how it compares.

Thanks,
Grant

Re: SGD model sizes

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
The model size is very simple.  If you have k categories and m features,
the model size will be (k-1) x m x s1 + m * s2 + s3 where s1 is roughly 8
bytes and s2 is about 4 bytes and s3 is probably around 100 bytes.  These
are approximate numbers and could be off by 2 if I forgot something.  The
first product is the beta matrix, the second is the learning rate vector
and the third is the object overhead.  There might be an additional
component to s2 to account for per row overhead of beta.