Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2001/04/03 19:40:23 UTC

v2.0 and SOCKS?

Hi all,

According to the following (obsolete) mod_proxy docs it is apparently
possible to use Apache and mod_proxy with SOCKS:

	Can I use the Apache proxy module with my SOCKS proxy?

	Yes. Just build Apache with the rule SOCKS4=yes in your
	Configuration file, and follow the instructions there.
	SOCKS5 capability can be added in a similar way (there's
	no SOCKS5 rule yet), so use the EXTRA_LDFLAGS definition,
	or build Apache normally and run it with the runsocks
	wrapper provided with SOCKS5, if your OS supports
	dynamically linked libraries.

Is any of this still true for v2.0? mod_proxy (and Apache) both use APR
- does this allow it to work with SOCKS?

I just need to know what to say here...

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street
						tonight..."

Re: v2.0 and SOCKS?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Chuck Murcko wrote:

> SOCKS 4 is likely not used a lot anymore, though I can't say for sure no
> one uses it. You have to link its libs to your app to SOCKSify them,
> though.
>
> SOCKS 5 uses a set of wrappers to dynamically add this capability. It
> would be nice to support this, but no one's tested httpd with it yet
> AFAIK.

Should we then just chop this bit of the mod_proxy docs?

mod_proxy and Apache use APR - SOCKS support would then be a general APR
thing, which would in turn make it a general Apache config issue, not a
specific mod_proxy one...

Re: v2.0 and SOCKS?

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
SOCKS 4 is likely not used a lot anymore, though I can't say for sure no
one uses it. You have to link its libs to your app to SOCKSify them,
though.

SOCKS 5 uses a set of wrappers to dynamically add this capability. It
would be nice to support this, but no one's tested httpd with it yet
AFAIK.

Chuck

--
Chuck