Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com> on 2004/04/05 05:14:21 UTC

Re: Refactoring Struts Initialization (was RE: Splitting struts-config into multiple jar...)

>>Just thought of one more thing: technically, since the Configurator
>>has access to the entire ServletContext, should we have a destroy()
>>method also?  I would kind of prefer to leave that out and keep it
>>simple, since otherwise it might get confusing about where cleanup
>>responsibilities lie...  but we may not be able to avoid it.  (Then
>>again, we may be able to wait until someone asks for it/has a use
>>case.)
>
>Yes, I can see use cases for this (such as saving current state
>information that will be used the next time the configuration is
>loaded).  But if you add a destroy method, haven't you just
>recreated the PlugIn API?

More or less, yes.  That had crossed my mind.  The major difference
being, of course, when the methods get called.  I suppose one could
write a plugin which instantiated more action mappings, form beans,
etc. (I bet someone already has!) but it doesn't seem very tidy...

If someone had an idea for how to coordinate the timing of calls to
plugins to distinguish between configuration responsibilities (the
new use case) and other plugin uses, I'd be happy to hear it.  I was
more looking for "the simplest thing that could possibly work" to
open up configuration along the lines of recent discussion on the DEV
list.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska