Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> on 2004/07/06 09:41:13 UTC

Tonight's Nightly Build Dependencies

I've updated my nightly build script (effective with the 20040706 build)
to use the following dependnet libraries, which I'm assuming corresponds
to what we'll actually use in a Struts 1.2.1 release.  Can whoever is
going to be release manager for this confirm the version numbers?

antlr.jar 2.7.2 (*)
commons-beanutils 1.6.1
commons-collections 3.1
commons-digester 1.5
commons-fileupload 1.0
commons-logging 1.0.4
commons-validator 1.1.3 (**)
jakarta-oro 2.0.7

*  The ANTLR code (required by validator) is licensed as public domain
   code, but the authors request attribution.  Have we done so in the
   commons-validator and/or Struts documentation?  (All the other
   dependencies are Apache code.)

** I'm temporarily using the version from Ted's public_html directory,
   but I'm -1 on a Struts 1.2.1 release until this is voted to be a
validator
   release suitable for public use.

The nightly build of Struts itself was compiled against the Servlet 2.2
and JSP 1.1 api jar files, while the "struts-faces" library was compiled
against Servlet 2.3, JSP 1.2, and the JSF Reference Implementation
version 1.1.  The non-Tiles version of the example app seems to run
fine; the Tiles version currently has problems that I will investigate
tomorrow.

Craig McClanahan

PS:  Do we need to include antlr.jar in the non-JSF example webapps now
that we're using the latest and greatest validator code?

Re: Tonight's Nightly Build Dependencies

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com>.
Can't we use timestamp versions for validator ?

It is used by some maven plugins that are build using SNAPSHOT dependecies. When a release is done, the snapshot is
converted to a timestamp. Using this, no 'official' version of the dependency is needed (it only needs to be deployed on
ibiblio). Timestamp can be used to get dependecies sources from CVS if needed.

Using this, a 1.2.1 version of struts may be tagged. If any bug is discovered in validator using this *beta* Struts
version, it will help getting an official validator-1.1.3, and then a *stable* 1.2.x version of Struts.

Nico.

Our name has changed.  Please update your address book to the following format: "recipient@capgemini.com".

Re: Tonight's Nightly Build Dependencies

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
Joe Germuska wrote:

>> This is a Chicken and an an Egg situation. Not enough people use
>> Validator standalone for it to be promoted. Validator 1.1.3 only
>> works with a nightly build of Struts. So to get the required number
>> of users Validator will need in a released version of Struts to get
>> the testing it needs to be promoted.
>

> Isn't this one of the benefits of the new release scheme that both
> projects use?.

It's a two-edged sword.

If we always build nightlies from CVS-HEAD of the dependencies (which is
essentially what Gump does), nobody ever has the chance to test the
particular combination of JARs that we're actually going to include in
the release.  Now, we can at least say "please treat nightly build
YYYYMMDD as a release candidate for Struts 1.2.1, and test it", with
some assurance that the bits being tested actually represent what we'll
actually ship.

> I would be -1 on voting to call Struts 1.2.1 "General Availability" if
> we couldn't call Validator 1.1.3 "General Availability" -- but that
> isn't the same as being -1 on *releasing* Struts 1.2.1

The post-release vote on quality of a Struts release is just that ... a
vote on its quality.  But we wouldn't have the option to call 1.2.1
"suitable for GA" if Validator (or any other component) wasn't final
yet, even if the quality was sufficient -- so I don't think we should
even release it that way.

At any rate, I've seen lots of assurances in my catching up on mail that
Validator 1.1.3 will-be/has-been released, so it should just be a short
matter of time.

> Joe

Craig

Re: Tonight's Nightly Build Dependencies

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

The advantage of the current system is that we can change the status of a release without rolling it again. So, if Validator 1.1.3 goes stable, then Struts 1.2.1 could follow suit, and we would not have to touch the distribution.

-Ted.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
>This is a Chicken and an an Egg situation. Not enough people use
>Validator standalone for it to be promoted. Validator 1.1.3 only
>works with a nightly build of Struts. So to get the required number
>of users Validator will need in a released version of Struts to get
>the testing it needs to be promoted.

Isn't this one of the benefits of the new release scheme that both
projects use?. I would be -1 on voting to call Struts 1.2.1 "General

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

Re: Tonight's Nightly Build Dependencies

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Comment below

Re: Version of Jakarta-ORO (Re: Tonight's Nightly Build Dependencies)

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Joe Germuska wrote:

> At 12:41 AM -0700 7/6/04, Craig McClanahan wrote:
>> I've updated my nightly build script (effective with the 20040706 build)
>> to use the following dependnet libraries, which I'm assuming corresponds
>> to what we'll actually use in a Struts 1.2.1 release. Can whoever is going
>> to be release manager for this confirm the version numbers?
>>
>> jakarta-oro 2.0.7
>
> I just happened to be looking this over to check the versions in the Struts
> 1.2.1 distribution and I noticed that we're using Oro 2.0.7 but the current
> release is 2.0.8.
>
> Is our general plan always to use the newest release of all libraries?  If
> so, we should update the Oro dependency.  Small, I'm sure, but still...

I think it would be good to update to ORO 2.0.8, since there are a couple
of fixes to regexp matching in there. See:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/~checkout~/jakarta-oro/CHANGES?content-type=text/plain

Of course, it's also easy for people to upgrade it themselves if they
encounter the problems, so it's not that big of a deal.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
>Has anyone tested with 2.0.8?  If so, I don't have any problem with
>picking this up in a subsequent 1.2.x release.  I'll update the
>nightly build dependencies for tonight's run.

I've been running a Struts 1.2.x app against ORO 2.0.8 for several
months using at least email validation and having no problems.
Martin is right that it's trivial for users to upgrade.  I think we
should update nightlies and not worry about it for Struts 1.2.1 and
not bother with a Struts 1.2.2 if it's just to roll that in.

Joe

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:36:42 -0700, Craig McClanahan wrote:
> Has anyone tested with 2.0.8?  If so, I don't have any problem with
> picking this up in a subsequent 1.2.x release.  I'll update the
> nightly build dependencies for tonight's run.

I did consider changing the dependency, but decided against an 11th hour change.

If people think it's a worthwhile change, we can roll Struts 1.2.2 after we see if there is feedback on other issues.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
OK, there are a couple of more changes I wanted to make to the docs, to reflect our status as a top-level project. Why don't I make those tonight, in case you see something we need to do for Struts Faces, and then we tag the CVS for 1.2.1 tomorrow (Wednesday) night. We can post the point release and publicize it's availability for testing on the USER list. That will then give us the feedback we need to float "release-quality" votes for Commons Validator 1.1.3 and Struts 1.2.1.

And, if it were ready, we might also consider posting a 1.0.0 release of Struts Faces this week, and really give people something to vote about :)

Something else we need to sort out is setting up our own download.cgi so we can distributed our own mirrored releases. Struts 1.1 is still going through the Jakarta site.

-Ted.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
Ted Husted wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 00:41:13 -0700, Craig McClanahan wrote:
>

>>Can whoever is going to be release manager for this confirm the version numbers?
>>

>Did you want to go ahead and do it, Craig?
>
>There are other things I really should be doing right now, but no one else was available.
>
>Of course, if you are still recovering, I can finish up.

I'm down to under 6000 messages to catch up on (primarily commons-dev
and struts-user) -- it would sure be nice if you could finish up, while
I keep reading -- and, along the way, do some testing on struts-faces.

>-Ted.

Craig

Re: Tonight's Nightly Build Dependencies

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.