Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Struts-dev Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com)" <st...@basebeans.com> on 2002/04/23 01:25:01 UTC

1.1 new build needs setter for every getter?

Subject: 1.1 new build needs setter for every getter?
From: JDavids <jd...@davis.com>
 ===
I used 1.1 beta, and other builds just fine.

Late builds throw an exception if there are no setters.
Some of my beans/pages do not need a setter, only a getter.
It throws no such method exception.
I think it should not require a setter.
We have 40 beans with lots of properties, but not all properties are
updateable.

Is it me?
Do I need a dummy setter in case the field is read only?

tia, Vic

RE: 1.1 new build needs setter for every getter?

Posted by Donnie Hale <do...@haleonline.net>.
One more thing on this - a while back we had an issue along these lines
using the IBM JDK for AIX where it wouldn't find a read property if the type
for the set didn't match the type for the get. Sun's JDK on Windows did find
the read property in the same situation.

I was able to create a nice, short test case to prove the problem and
difference in behavior to IBM. As I recall, IBM thought that the spec wasn't
detailed enough in that area, or there was ambiguity, for them to think
their JDK was in error. My thought was that I'd rather have the JDKs behave
identically even if they all didn't match the spec. :)

FWIW...

Donnie

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Struts-dev Newsgroup wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:25:01 -0700
> From: Struts-dev Newsgroup <st...@basebeans.com>
> To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: 1.1 new build needs setter for every getter?
>
> Subject: 1.1 new build needs setter for every getter?
> From: JDavids <jd...@davis.com>
>  ===
> I used 1.1 beta, and other builds just fine.
>
> Late builds throw an exception if there are no setters.
> Some of my beans/pages do not need a setter, only a getter.
> It throws no such method exception.
> I think it should not require a setter.
> We have 40 beans with lots of properties, but not all properties are
> updateable.
>
> Is it me?
> Do I need a dummy setter in case the field is read only?

There's been a bunch of work done on commons-beanutils since Struts
1.1-b1, and I believe part of that was some bug fixes in this area --
could you try a recent nightly build and see if the problem still exists?
If so, please file a bug report in Bugzilla so that the issue does not get
lost.

  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

> tia, Vic

Craig