Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2007/04/20 10:58:08 UTC

Why did we take so long for 0.8?

My view... http://involve.jisc.ac.uk/wpmu/oss-watch/2007/04/20/release-early-release-often/

Re: Why did we take so long for 0.8?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 28/04/07, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Need at least one individual to put in the
> effort to make it happen: encouraging the
> community to either attend to crucial issues [1]
> or delay them or find workarounds; proposing
> the Release Plan; being the Release Manager;
> attempting to motivate the community.
>
> Need more developers to be involved, not just
> during the final testing phase, but also in
> the lead-up preparation phase. Don't expect
> the few active committers to do it. Those
> people have their own time constraints too.
>
> [1] http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#prep

All true. Or to put it another way, have developers who are not
continually distracted by new shiny features that end up unfinished
and therefore create more issues that need fixing before a release is
possible.

Also, be willing to release versions that are not yet fully complete.
That is, they have some unfinished functionality - but that unfinished
functionality is clearly identified. If users hit these limitations
they are more likely to assist with development.

In other words, exactly what I said in my blog post.

(NB my release management proposal, when I find time to write it will
contain a method for managing this)

Ross

Ross

Re: Why did we take so long for 0.8?

Re: Why did we take so long for 0.8?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> My view...
> http://involve.jisc.ac.uk/wpmu/oss-watch/2007/04/20/release-early-release-often/

Hmmm, we need to discuss Forrest's issues on this dev
mailing list. Doing it on a remote blog will not help
the Apache Forrest project.

I will try to get my own thoughts together on this
important topic. I see things very differently.

-David