Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com> on 2006/05/22 17:23:41 UTC

Repackaged IBM VME

Hi all,

There is now a repackaged version of the IBM VME available at:

https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/preLogin.do?lang=en_US&source=ahdk

The new VME archives are called Harmony-vme-win.IA32-v3.zip for Windows
and Harmony-vme-linux.IA32-v3.tar.gz for Linux.

Following discussion on the mailing list [1], the IBM VME has been
reorganised
into the following directory layout:

<EXTRACT_DIR>

       +---jre
       |    |
       |    \---bin
       |         |
       |         \---default

       \---vme_license

The actual VME binaries are still the same as the previous version, but the
new layout means it can be dropped into both the current development
environment and also any future classlib jre/jdk/hdk snapshots that are
taken.

Since this is purely a directory layout update, those who already have a
version
of the IBM VME in their environment will *not* need to get the new packages.

Regards,
Oliver

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200605.mbox/%3c446C3B8D.2020804@googlemail.com%3e

--
Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited

Re: Repackaged IBM VME

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Richard,

Thanks for spotting this - looks like it was the same in v2 as well. I will
update the package to v3.1 and get it put onto the IBM download site
as soon as possible.

Regards,
Oliver

Re: Repackaged IBM VME

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.
Hello Oliver,

Oliver Deakin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There is now a repackaged version of the IBM VME available at:
>
> https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/preLogin.do?lang=en_US&source=ahdk
>

> The new VME archives are called Harmony-vme-win.IA32-v3.zip for Windows
> and Harmony-vme-linux.IA32-v3.tar.gz for Linux.
>
> Following discussion on the mailing list [1], the IBM VME has been
> reorganised
> into the following directory layout:
>
> <EXTRACT_DIR>
>       +---jre
>       |    |
>       |    \---bin
>       |         |
>       |         \---default
>       \---vme_license
>
> The actual VME binaries are still the same as the previous version,
> but the
> new layout means it can be dropped into both the current development
> environment and also any future classlib jre/jdk/hdk snapshots that
> are taken.
>
> Since this is purely a directory layout update, those who already have
> a version
> of the IBM VME in their environment will *not* need to get the new
> packages.
>
> Regards,
> Oliver
>
> [1]
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200605.mbox/%3c446C3B8D.2020804@googlemail.com%3e

--
Richard Liang
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: Repackaged IBM VME

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Jimmy, Jing Lv wrote:
> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There is now a repackaged version of the IBM VME available at:
>>
>> https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/preLogin.do?lang=en_US&source=ahdk
>>

>> The new VME archives are called Harmony-vme-win.IA32-v3.zip for Windows
>> and Harmony-vme-linux.IA32-v3.tar.gz for Linux.
>>
>> Following discussion on the mailing list [1], the IBM VME has been
>> reorganised
>> into the following directory layout:
>>
>> <EXTRACT_DIR>
>>       +---jre
>>       |    |
>>       |    \---bin
>>       |         |
>>       |         \---default
>>       \---vme_license
>>
>> The actual VME binaries are still the same as the previous version,
>> but the
>> new layout means it can be dropped into both the current development
>> environment and also any future classlib jre/jdk/hdk snapshots that
>> are taken.
>>
>> Since this is purely a directory layout update, those who already
>> have a version
>> of the IBM VME in their environment will *not* need to get the new
>> packages.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oliver
>>
>> [1]
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200605.mbox/%3c446C3B8D.2020804@googlemail.com%3e
>>

> That's great!

Thanks Jimmy!
I should reiterate in case anyone misinterprets my message - these new
VME packages
contain exactly the same binaries as the previous version i.e. they are
at a 1.4 level.
The changes in this VME version are purely cosmetic, and are made in
response to
recent discussions on the list (as described above).

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited

Re: Repackaged IBM VME

Posted by "Jimmy, Jing Lv" <fi...@gmail.com>.
Oliver Deakin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There is now a repackaged version of the IBM VME available at:
>
> https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/preLogin.do?lang=en_US&source=ahdk
>

> The new VME archives are called Harmony-vme-win.IA32-v3.zip for Windows
> and Harmony-vme-linux.IA32-v3.tar.gz for Linux.
>
> Following discussion on the mailing list [1], the IBM VME has been
> reorganised
> into the following directory layout:
>
> <EXTRACT_DIR>
>       +---jre
>       |    |
>       |    \---bin
>       |         |
>       |         \---default
>       \---vme_license
>
> The actual VME binaries are still the same as the previous version, but the
> new layout means it can be dropped into both the current development
> environment and also any future classlib jre/jdk/hdk snapshots that are
> taken.
>
> Since this is purely a directory layout update, those who already have a
> version
> of the IBM VME in their environment will *not* need to get the new
> packages.
>
> Regards,
> Oliver
>
> [1]
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200605.mbox/%3c446C3B8D.2020804@googlemail.com%3e

That's great!
And we are solicitous of a new VM of Java 5. :)

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv
China Software Development Lab, IBM