Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by RW...@Mindspring.com on 2005/11/26 22:32:45 UTC

APR-UTIL error while installing SVN

The List,

I got the following error when I was trying to upgrade SVN.

I am currently on version 1.1.1
I downloaded version 1.2.3

Then when configuring I got the following message:

You don't seem to have Berkeley DB version 4.0.14 or newer
installed and linked to APR-UTIL.  We have created Makefiles which
will build without the Berkeley DB back-end; your repositories will
use FSFS as the default back-end.  You can find the latest version of
Berkeley DB here:
  http://www.sleepycat.com/download/index.shtml

So I did what it said & installed Berkeley DB v4.4.16 and re-installed SVN.  Which
promptly gave me the same error message.

Qeustions:

1. Do I have to 'uninstall' SVN v1.1.1?

2. How do I get SVN 1.2.3 to 'see' Berkeley DB?

Thanks List,

Ric

Re: APR-UTIL error while installing SVN

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 26, 2005, at 23:32, RWMerz@Mindspring.com wrote:

> I downloaded version 1.2.3
>
> Then when configuring I got the following message:
>
> You don't seem to have Berkeley DB version 4.0.14 or newer
> installed and linked to APR-UTIL.  We have created Makefiles which
> will build without the Berkeley DB back-end; your repositories will
> use FSFS as the default back-end.  You can find the latest version of
> Berkeley DB here:
>   http://www.sleepycat.com/download/index.shtml
>
> So I did what it said & installed Berkeley DB v4.4.16 and re-
> installed SVN.  Which
> promptly gave me the same error message.
>
> Qeustions:
>
> 1. Do I have to 'uninstall' SVN v1.1.1?
>
> 2. How do I get SVN 1.2.3 to 'see' Berkeley DB?

I just read on the list yesterday that Subversion doesn't work yet
with BDB 4.4; you should be able to get it to work with 4.3.

But you should first answer the question: Why do you want BDB at all?
My recommendation is to skip it entirely and use FSFS repositories.
If you already have BDB repositories, svnadmin dump them using
Subversion 1.1.1, upgrade to Subversion 1.2.3, and svnadmin load them
into new FSFS repositories.

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#bdb-fsfs-convert