Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com> on 2012/11/19 17:54:34 UTC

[javelin] Updates on javelin...

Just like to update everyone on the work on javelin.

We've basically started the work of breaking out components.  Currently we have

Framework - Framework pieces that underlies all services.
  - ipc: for ipc mechanism
  - jobs: for jobs management

Engine - Cloud-Engine Service
  - api: service api
  - components-api: api for the plugins
  - compute: compute orchestrations
  - network: network orchestration
  - planning: deployment planning orchestrations
  - schema: VO objects used by all of the components to present a schema.
  - service: rest service component
  - storage: storage orchestration
  - orchestration: overall vm orchestartion

Services - Various services
  - Nothing is done here yet.  But it's planned to move the api, management, ssvm, consoleproxy, and virtual router in here.

Plugins - plugins.  This directory is unchanged but expect to see more storage plugins being introduced here.

The most work being done here are two parts:
 - Storage orchestration and provisioning separation
 - Data center abstraction layer and services.

We've also been looking at jax-rs 399 and apache cxf to implement the rest service part of the cloud-engine.  Let us know if you have any concerns regarding this approach.

--Alex

Re: [javelin] Updates on javelin...

Posted by Satoshi Kobayashi <sa...@stratosphere.co.jp>.
Hi Alex,

2012/11/21 Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>:
>> It is planning to use jax-rs to implement internal API? Or is it
>> certain CloudStack API now?
>
> Please reference https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Refactoring
>
> All of that work is being done in the javelin branch
>
> In here, jax-rs is used as an api for cloud-engine which is not end user facing.
>>
>> If It is the latter:
>> I think that it may not necessarily be suitable for implementing Query
>> API. I think that it just matches if there is a plan to refactor into
>> RESTful more which throw away backward compatibility. (ex. Resource
>> structure is made to a layer).
>>
>> But I have not an alternative idea. This may only be my overanxiety. I
>> think that I am good, if CloudStack API is refactored.
>
> We are refactoring the end user API but we're not going to change the over the wire representation.  What we are changing are the annotations and packaging and documentation to make it easier for people to understand.  The spec for that is here.

Thanks. I read the document and the code.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Satoshi Kobayashi <sa...@stratosphere.co.jp>.