Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/02 13:04:49 UTC

Isis status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "March2012" by DanHaywood)

Hi,

Thanks for the early report, Isis!

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
> + Community Development

Sounds like you've made good progress based on the improvements you
outlined in your December report.

If you have time at some point, it would be nice if you could in a
separate post (the report itself is already great) describe the
community building actions you've taken and the results you've seen in
a bit more detail. I think other podlings (both current and future)
could benefit from your experience.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Isis status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "March2012" by DanHaywood)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Dan Haywood
<da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> wrote:
> In terms of community building, the things we're doing divide into would-be
> user and would-be contributors:

Thanks a lot for sharing!

> In terms of how that's worked, well... all I can say is that it seems to be
> a slow process.  Our project is quite divisive; some people love it, and
> many others don't take the time to grok it and dismiss it out of hand.
>  Hence our recent work to make it easier for would-be users to grok what
> the project can do for them.
>
> I think the main thing I can advise is just to be patient.

Yep, there's no silver bullet to building a community overnight. But
it sounds like you're doing a lot of things right and the topic of
Isis seems pretty interesting (though I admit it takes a bit of
digging in before you grok the idea), so I believe you'll do great.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Dan Haywood
<da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> wrote:
> Hope that's of use to some; and if anyone else has good ideas on community
> building, would love to hear them

Not sure if you've already seen this, but Stefano Mazzocchi's
presentation from years ago is still golden:
http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/papers/ac2006.2.pdf

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Hi Jukka,
Thanks for that; not sure that we're any sort of poster child, though,
because our community still remains too small for comfort.  Still, we do
our best.

In terms of community building, the things we're doing divide into would-be
user and would-be contributors:

For would-be users, we:

* try to ensure at least one blog post a week from someone in the community
that is related to the project, so that people hopefully stumble up the
project
* advertise said blog posts via twitter (obviously) and dzone.com (or
choose your preferred aggregator)
* cross post any announcements, eg releases, to blog.apache.org
* do the occasional talks or conferences (even a lightning talk helps)
* look out for any mention of the project on twitter, and engage in the
tweetee

and, we also:

* try to have a good website [1], that makes it clear what the project is
trying to solve
* try to put out regular releases, so that it's obvious that the project is
alive (hmm: must do better on this)
* have an online demo [2], to see what the project does first-hand
* have a good and hopefully not-too-complex Maven archetype [3], to try out
the project easily
* have screencasts to see in more detail what the project does (though
we've currently removed them since they were a bit out of date)
* be polite and welcoming on the users mailing list
* making it clear what documentation exists and does not [4], so would-be
users don't get frustrated as they delve deeper
* have presentation materials [5,6,7,8] to allow would-be evangelists to do
their own talks about the project

For would-be contributors, we:

* have a good contributors guide [9], so they know what's expected of them
* tag some Jira issues as "newbie" [10] so that would-be contributors can
pick them up and tackle them  (need to add a link to our site for this)
* will ask people on the users mailing list if they would like to consider
contributing

We also have a book or two [11,12] about earlier versions of the project,
though of course, going to the lengths of writing a book is only something
that you'd need to be certifiable to do.

In terms of how that's worked, well... all I can say is that it seems to be
a slow process.  Our project is quite divisive; some people love it, and
many others don't take the time to grok it and dismiss it out of hand.
 Hence our recent work to make it easier for would-be users to grok what
the project can do for them.

I think the main thing I can advise is just to be patient.

Hope that's of use to some; and if anyone else has good ideas on community
building, would love to hear them

Dan

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/isis/
[2] http://mmyco.co.uk:8180/isis-onlinedemo/doc/index.html