Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com> on 2002/01/09 14:37:40 UTC

Configuring LogKit for ExcaliburComponentManager ?

Hi,

I'm using ExcaliburComponentManager to manage my components. It needs a
LogKit logger to work. I am using something like :

manager.setLogger(Hierarchy.getDefaultHierarchy().getLoggerFor("systemCo
nfig"));

This works fine. However, the logs are printed on the console and would
like to know how to configure it with other appender/filters/format etc.
I would like this configuration to be externalized in a configuration
file (same a log4j.properties or log4j.xml one for Log4j).

It is my understanding that logkit does not provide a configuration file
abstraction, is that right ? It is also my understanding that there is
an excalibur DefaultLogKitManager component that does this, is that
correct ?

Looking at the source code for DefaultLogKitManager, I can see it itself
needs a LogKit logger to work ... This is the chicken and egg problem.

What is the recommended way to do this ?
Thanks
-Vincent