Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by joelsherriff <jo...@comcast.net> on 2004/10/15 20:31:20 UTC

CVS newbie question

This question surely has a better place to be asked, but after looking I
can't find a forum to ask it in and I figure someone here has surely solved
the same problem so please set flames to 'bic' vs blowtorch....

I want to be able to make local modifications to jmeter source under cvs
control and still be able to merge with the main cvs repository.  Can I do
that?  What I've done is to create my own repository, which has created
everything with version 1.1.1.1.
Then I made all my changes so that version numbers are from 1.1.1.1 to
whatever.  When I wanted to merge the latest main cvs code with my code, I
then grabbed a copy of the code and changed the CVSROOT for that copy to
point to the main cvs repository.  Then did an Update on that copy - that
bombs with:

cvs [server aborted]: missing expected branches in
/home/cvspublic/jakarta-jmeter/bin/jmeter.properties,v

Which I assume (perhaps wrongly) means that its pissed about the version
numbers being out-of-sync.

What's the right way to do this, if any?  I've poured through the cvs doc
and nothing jumps out at me as to what I should have done differently.

Thanks

JS