Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Eric Frazier <ef...@kwinternet.com> on 2002/06/09 18:01:37 UTC

Re: Building high load mod_perl/Mason servers

At 08:46 PM 6/9/02 +0200, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>Hi Eric,
>
>At 17:21 09.06.2002, Eric Frazier wrote:
>>Perrin just showed me this great document
>>
>>http://perl.apache.org/release/docs/tutorials/apps/scale_etoys/etoys.html
>>
>>But I am having problems printing it in any way. From Netscape 6.1 I can
>>only print the first page. Trying to print the PDF leads to the first 4
>>pages then quits on an error that seems to be in the last page or two.
>
>Well, as Perrin said, the page is auto-generated, so it'll be hard to find
>the bug. I'm trying to print it now (the PDF), and don't seem to be getting
>any errors. What program/version are you using to view the PDF?

Sorry, I should be shot for not including that info, I know better. Adobe
Acrobat 5.0 on Win98
I guess it might be worth trying to do it with an up to date reader. When I
load the doc I get the bad char boxes in front of the table of content list
items. I tried printing with Netscape 6.2-- latest, and just got the first
page out. I am sure it is something in the style sheet, but what? :)

>>This doc could make my life so much better with my boss, it is perfect
>>beautiful, but if I tell him you can only view it on the screen he will be
>>suspect about the source of the information.
>
>Yes, I love it too :) But.. hmm you could point your boss to the perl.com
>version http://perl.com/pub/a/2001/10/17/etoys.html and use the "Print this
>page" feature there.

He loves pretty picutures so I am trying to get those as well. Something
must be going on with perl.com at the moment, the site seems really slow,
and I just got a 500 on the print this link. Maybe a database timeout?
Anyway, I guess I will take a break and come back later.

>>I am going to see if there is a way I can clean up the PDF, and the Netscape
>>printing problem is really weird. I noticed that the .html page in IE is
>>very strange looking(the fonts are very big)
>
>Don't see any problems here on IE 6.0. What version/os are you using? Is
>this problem appearing on any other pages on the site?

Ahh, I have not gotten up to IE 6 yet, 5.5 still. Win 98 SE The perl.com
pages look fine in IE 5.5.

Thanks, and esp for the quick reply.

Eric

http://www.kwinternet.com/eric
(250) 655 - 9513 (PST Time Zone)

"Inquiry is fatal to certainty." -- Will Durant

Re: Building high load mod_perl/Mason servers

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 21:10 09.06.2002, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>About Netscape: We haven't tested with that, stupid us :( Recent Mozilla
>versiosn haven't had any trouble with the layout, but we haven't really
>tested printing.

I just tried printing with Mozilla. It's weird, it seems like it interprets
"All" as "the 1st page". The same things applies if I do "From 1 to 20".
This is very weird.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: Building high load mod_perl/Mason servers

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

>> Hmm, people reported to me about this problem before and with
>> Gunther's help (who is running win32) we have fixed html2ps not to add
>> these weird chars there. I don't understand why they come back again.
>> Any chance you can play with html2ps and see if you can get it fixed?
>> I don't have winFu box, so I cannot try. Please use html2ps bundled
>> with DocSet, since it already includes some fixes.
>> http://www.apache.org/~stas/DocSet-0.13.tar.gz
>

> Assuming you were talking to me :)

I was talking to Eric :) I read that you couldn't reproduce it :)

Re: Building high load mod_perl/Mason servers

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

>>> tml

>>>Sorry, I should be shot for not including that info, I know better. Adobe
>>>Acrobat 5.0 on Win98
>>>I guess it might be worth trying to do it with an up to date reader. When I
>>>load the doc I get the bad char boxes in front of the table of content list
>>>items.
>
>Hmm, people reported to me about this problem before and with Gunther's
>help (who is running win32) we have fixed html2ps not to add these weird
>chars there. I don't understand why they come back again. Any chance you
>can play with html2ps and see if you can get it fixed? I don't have winFu
>box, so I cannot try. Please use html2ps bundled with DocSet, since it
>already includes some fixes. http://www.apache.org/~stas/DocSet-0.13.tar.gz

Assuming you were talking to me :)
I'm not getting the characters, I just have trouble printing. I might try
and see what I can do, but I garantee absolutely nothing...

>>About the pictures: they arne't in the PDF anyway, it's only in the
>>online version (atleast that's how it appears here). Sorry about that
>
>They are in PDF. Why do you say they aren't?

Hmmm.. Well, because I can't see them :) With Acrobat Reader 4.0 or 5.0.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: Building high load mod_perl/Mason servers

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

>> Sorry, I should be shot for not including that info, I know better. Adobe
>> Acrobat 5.0 on Win98
>> I guess it might be worth trying to do it with an up to date reader.
>> When I
>> load the doc I get the bad char boxes in front of the table of content
>> list
>> items.

Hmm, people reported to me about this problem before and with Gunther's
help (who is running win32) we have fixed html2ps not to add these weird
chars there. I don't understand why they come back again. Any chance you
can play with html2ps and see if you can get it fixed? I don't have
winFu box, so I cannot try. Please use html2ps bundled with DocSet,
since it already includes some fixes.
http://www.apache.org/~stas/DocSet-0.13.tar.gz

Thanks!

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 18:01 09.06.2002, Eric Frazier wrote:
>At 08:46 PM 6/9/02 +0200, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> >Hi Eric,
> >
> >At 17:21 09.06.2002, Eric Frazier wrote:
> >>Perrin just showed me this great document
> >>
> >>http://perl.apache.org/release/docs/tutorials/apps/scale_etoys/etoys.html
> >>
> >>But I am having problems printing it in any way. From Netscape 6.1 I can
> >>only print the first page. Trying to print the PDF leads to the first 4
> >>pages then quits on an error that seems to be in the last page or two.
> >
> >Well, as Perrin said, the page is auto-generated, so it'll be hard to find
> >the bug. I'm trying to print it now (the PDF), and don't seem to be getting
> >any errors. What program/version are you using to view the PDF?
>
>Sorry, I should be shot for not including that info, I know better. Adobe
>Acrobat 5.0 on Win98
>I guess it might be worth trying to do it with an up to date reader. When I
>load the doc I get the bad char boxes in front of the table of content list
>items. I tried printing with Netscape 6.2-- latest, and just got the first
>page out. I am sure it is something in the style sheet, but what? :)

For Acrobat Reader: Using 5.0 on WinXP I get no problems in the TOC, but I
had seen these problems earlier on some other box. Annoying. Furthermore, I
have the same problems as you for printing. It prints one page then stops.
I had been trying with Acrobat 4, which printed without problem.

About Netscape: We haven't tested with that, stupid us :( Recent Mozilla
versiosn haven't had any trouble with the layout, but we haven't really
tested printing.

> >>This doc could make my life so much better with my boss, it is perfect
> >>beautiful, but if I tell him you can only view it on the screen he will be
> >>suspect about the source of the information.
> >
> >Yes, I love it too :) But.. hmm you could point your boss to the perl.com
> >version http://perl.com/pub/a/2001/10/17/etoys.html and use the "Print this
> >page" feature there.
> >

>He loves pretty picutures so I am trying to get those as well. Something
>must be going on with perl.com at the moment, the site seems really slow,
>and I just got a 500 on the print this link. Maybe a database timeout?
>Anyway, I guess I will take a break and come back later.

Same problems with perl.com here.

Yes, but what about the rest of the http://perl.apache.org/release/ site?

--
Per Einar Ellefsen