Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Gmail Account <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/24 01:09:18 UTC

Solr Flare for non-Ruby users.

I haven't looked at Solr Flare at all.. but was wondering if it is possible
to use some of the work done in solr flare with non-Ruby applications? For
example, could the tagging and faceting be extracted more so it's not Ruby
specific and handled in the solr java request handler?

Thanks

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 24, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Gmail Account wrote:
> I guess I was more interested in the tagging part more than
> anything. I was thinking that Collex was using tagging from Flare
> and I wanted to see how it was being done or use it. I'm about to
> try implementing tagging with my non-Ruby (.NET) application that
> uses Solr.

As for tagging, it's not as simple as just adding tags to Solr.  A
tag (generally) belongs to a user, so where does the user name come
from?  Solr can't be responsible for that, though it would clearly
become a field that you'd want in Solr.

As for Collex and Flare.  Flare is a distillation of the _ideas_ in
Collex, but currently the two share nothing, not even solr-ruby.  The
plan is to migrate pieces of Collex to Flare as we can.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.