Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hayo Schmidt <St...@hayo.de> on 2003/10/01 17:16:09 UTC

How do i handle session-timeout in an acceptable manner?

I have a built a web application on Tomcat 4.1.18. The application is
running with a HTTPS connection. session-timeout is configured and works
so far. But i am absolutely not satisfied with what happens when a
timeout occurs.
The web application is configured for form based authentication. When
the connection has timed out, the user is presented the login page when
he does his next action. And, all data saved with the session are lost.
Fine -  i could live with that.

But what happens in a real case:
- The user waits too long - timeout.
- The user pushes an INPUT type="submit" and creates a POST operation.
- Tomcat redirects to the login page.
- The user logs in.
- Tomcat redirects to the original aim of the post operation, but he
does it as a GET operation.
Alternative 1:
- My application does not allow get operations at this place ==>
Application Error.
Alternative 2:
- The application allows the vulnerable get operation, but the button
that was pushed is not passed anymore ==> Application Error.

Now what can i do? I must interfere the session timeout to do an
operation. Or i should be able to detemine that the current request is
the first after a timeout. The way my application currently crashes is
not acceptable.

Hayo Schmidt