Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "KARR, DAVID" <dk...@att.com> on 2017/03/10 16:29:46 UTC

Required changes to move an app from TomEE 7.0.1 to Tomcat 8.5.11

I'm currently running a somewhat simple CXF/REST/Spring app in TomEE 7.0.1.  It uses the CXF libraries in WEB-INF/lib, not in the container.  It uses a couple of Environment strings, and some DataSource resources, all of which it gets from JNDI.

I'm considering moving this app from TomEE to Tomcat, because as far as I can see, I don't need anything that TomEE provides over Tomcat, and I'm also running into classloader conflicts now that I've added more code using CXF pieces that I haven't used before.  I'm pursuing those issues with the TomEE team (ok, Romain), as I'd like to get these issues resolved now that I've run into them, but I have to consider alternative strategies if it's going to take too long to get them resolved.

If I attempt to port this to Tomcat, I'm guessing all of the required changes will be in "conf".  It appears that in TomEE, I define DataSource Resources in "tomee.xml" and environment strings (and other things) in "Context.xml", but in Tomcat I define all of those in "Context.xml".  I assume that's correct?

I also need to understand if there are any syntax differences between the "Resource" entries I define in "tomee.xml" and the similar ones I define in "Context.xml" in Tomcat.

For instance, in my DataSource Resources in TomEE, I set the "type" to "DataSource", although I see in the Tomcat example it uses "javax.sql.DataSource".  Will both of these work in Tomcat?  In my current app, I also define the other DataSource properties in the "body" of the "Resource" element, like "key = value", one on each line.  In the Tomcat example, they are set as traditional XML attributes.  I would also guess that both of these strategies would work in Tomcat, correct?

I also have to determine what the required "JNDI prefix" is for Tomcat.  Presently, in my TomEE app, I don't need a prefix for the environment entries, but I need to prefix my datasource JNDI names with "openejb:Resource/".  What will I need to prefix my JNDI references with in Tomcat?

Re: Required changes to move an app from TomEE 7.0.1 to Tomcat 8.5.11

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 10/03/2017 16:29, KARR, DAVID wrote:
> I'm currently running a somewhat simple CXF/REST/Spring app in TomEE
> 7.0.1.  It uses the CXF libraries in WEB-INF/lib, not in the
> container.  It uses a couple of Environment strings, and some
> DataSource resources, all of which it gets from JNDI.
>
> I'm considering moving this app from TomEE to Tomcat, because as far
> as I can see, I don't need anything that TomEE provides over Tomcat,
> and I'm also running into classloader conflicts now that I've added
> more code using CXF pieces that I haven't used before.  I'm pursuing
> those issues with the TomEE team (ok, Romain), as I'd like to get
> these issues resolved now that I've run into them, but I have to
> consider alternative strategies if it's going to take too long to get
> them resolved.
>
> If I attempt to port this to Tomcat, I'm guessing all of the required
> changes will be in "conf".  It appears that in TomEE, I define
> DataSource Resources in "tomee.xml" and environment strings (and
> other things) in "Context.xml", but in Tomcat I define all of those
> in "Context.xml".  I assume that's correct?

It is context.xml (case matters) but otherwise correct.

> I also need to understand if there are any syntax differences between
> the "Resource" entries I define in "tomee.xml" and the similar ones I
> define in "Context.xml" in Tomcat.

Almost certainly since these are container specific configuration files.

> For instance, in my DataSource Resources in TomEE, I set the "type"
> to "DataSource", although I see in the Tomcat example it uses
> "javax.sql.DataSource".  Will both of these work in Tomcat?

No. Tomcat expects the full class name.

>  In my
> current app, I also define the other DataSource properties in the
> "body" of the "Resource" element, like "key = value", one on each
> line.  In the Tomcat example, they are set as traditional XML
> attributes.  I would also guess that both of these strategies would
> work in Tomcat, correct?

No. Tomcat requires the XML format.

> I also have to determine what the required "JNDI prefix" is for
> Tomcat.  Presently, in my TomEE app, I don't need a prefix for the
> environment entries, but I need to prefix my datasource JNDI names
> with "openejb:Resource/".  What will I need to prefix my JNDI
> references with in Tomcat?

java:comp/env

Mark