Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Wingfield <jo...@mkodo.com> on 2003/04/15 13:13:49 UTC

Re: Stopping tomcat but can not make it start again.

Even though you got [OK] on starting the service, tomcat didn't start.
Look in the tomcat log files for the reason.
You got an error stopping the service because tomcat wasn't up. You may
need to kill the java processes associated with your failed startup (if
any remain).
The unix command
pstree -aup
is helpful in determining which these are ;)

Posted by Ricky Ignatius <mi...@hotpop.com>.
At 12:13 PM 4/15/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Even though you got [OK] on starting the service, tomcat didn't start.
>Look in the tomcat log files for the reason.
>You got an error stopping the service because tomcat wasn't up. You may
>need to kill the java processes associated with your failed startup (if
>any remain).
>The unix command
>pstree -aup
>is helpful in determining which these are ;)

Hi John,
I though so, tomcat is not runing yet.

This happend when I change ownership /tomcat4/conf/ directory to tomcat4
from root
[root@www tomcat4]#chmod -R tomcat4.tomcat4 conf/

I stop tomcat, and start it again but can not.
Before that tomcat is running.

>These messages mean that the stop is failing. I usually see this error when
>I try to stop Tomcat when it isn't actually running.
>
>It looks to me like it may be terminating when you start it.  Check the
>catalina.out logfile.

Hi Andy,
But catalina.out is empty.

[root@www logs]# ll catalina.out*
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Apr 16 08:46 catalina.out
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Apr 16 08:46 catalina.out.1.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Apr 16 08:46 catalina.out.10.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Apr 16 08:46 catalina.out.2.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Apr 16 08:46 catalina.out.3.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Apr 16 08:46 catalina.out.4.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Apr 16 08:46 catalina.out.5.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          746 Apr 16 08:46 catalina.out.6.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          647 Apr 16 08:46 catalina.out.7.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          222 Apr 16 08:46 catalina.out.8.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Apr 16 08:46 catalina.out.9.gz

And I can not open catalina.out.6.gz - catalina.out.8.gz

[root@www logs]# gunzip  catalina.out.6.gz
gunzip: catalina.out.6.gz: unexpected end of file

Thanks,

Ricky