Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andrew Hughes <ah...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/24 03:26:57 UTC

Can't avoid Maven (embedded) 3.0-SNAPSHOT with m2eclipse

*I have set Window -> Preferences -> Maven -> Installed to a external 2.2.1
instance and have enabled this as the default maven instance. But,
whatever "24/05/10 9:50:53 AM: Maven Builder: AUTO_BUILD" is - it still
using the 3.0-SNAPSHOT embedded maven instance. It refuses to use the
external maven (2.2.1) instance I have configured. I have deliberately set
the enforcer to Maven 2.2.1 so that this doesn't happen (+1 for enforcer
actually working, CHEERS).*
*
*
http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/m2eclipse-faq.html#17

Why is it working from the command line but not in m2eclipse

Because m2eclipse is using the embedded Maven
runtime<http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/m2eclipse-faq.html#version.html>
in
Maven 3.0, you can see differences in the execution between m2eclipse and
command line when Maven 2.1.x is used. We hope that such regressions and
incompatibilities will be fixed in the future releases of Maven 3.0. Note
that m2eclipse is always using embedded Maven runtime when running Maven
builder, importing projects and updating project configuration, however you
can configure m2eclipse to use external Maven installation when launching
Maven using "Run as… / Maven XXX" actions.

The above statement seems incorrect... I can't clearly can't configure
m2eclipse to use an external maven instance for the AUTO_BUILD. In fact, I
tried to uninstall the "Maven Embedded v3.0.0.200912160759" but Haahahaha it
say's it's required by other plugins - indicating that m2eclipse really is
dependent on 3.0-SNAPSHOT.

I just want to use eclipse 2.2.1, how can I do this? Can I rollback to an
old version of m2eclipse? Life is very painful for everyone on my dev team
right now :'(

Any help would be most appreciated, cheers.
--AH

Re: Can't avoid Maven (embedded) 3.0-SNAPSHOT with m2eclipse

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
About the enforcer problem that you can see in the console: I don't if
you're having the very same one, but there're many bugs that were fixed in
the recent m2e versions.
M2E 0.10 fixed a lot of issues and uses a more recent maven3 version. If
you're not using it, you should really give it a try.
(https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MNGECLIPSE-1091 or
https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MNGECLIPSE-1361).

Then, you should know there's a m2eclipse list if you have particularly
specific questions. You should ask questions about this on this list, and
maybe file an issue in the m2eclipse bug tracker (sonatype JIRA).

Cheers

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: Can't avoid Maven (embedded) 3.0-SNAPSHOT with m2eclipse

Posted by Andrew Hughes <ah...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply...

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Hi Andrew,

First, you should know there's a dedicated list for m2eclipse, which is a
separated project from Maven, designed to integrate Eclipse and Maven.

>From what I know, it's impossible. M2eclipse internally uses maven 3 (and
has always been doing so, long before maven3 first releases) for all
dependency resolution and so on. That is not configurable.

But you can configure M2eclipse to use external maven installation for
"command" launched through the Run As/Debug menus.

Having read your mail twice, I can't seem to find what your problem is.

Maven 3 is dedicated to be fully compatible with maven 2. So can you
describe what's the difference/problem you're encountering more precisely?
This would let us help you understand what's going on, or even file an issue
for maven3 before it's released as a final version (beta1 currently, after
several stages of alpha).

Thanks

2010/5/24 Andrew Hughes <ah...@gmail.com>

> *I have set Window -> Preferences -> Maven -> Installed to a external 2.2.1
> instance and have enabled this as the default maven instance. But,
> whatever "24/05/10 9:50:53 AM: Maven Builder: AUTO_BUILD" is - it still
> using the 3.0-SNAPSHOT embedded maven instance. It refuses to use the
> external maven (2.2.1) instance I have configured. I have deliberately set
> the enforcer to Maven 2.2.1 so that this doesn't happen (+1 for enforcer
> actually working, CHEERS).*
> *
> *
> http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/m2eclipse-faq.html#17
>
> Why is it working from the command line but not in m2eclipse
>
> Because m2eclipse is using the embedded Maven
> runtime<http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/m2eclipse-faq.html#version.html>
> in
> Maven 3.0, you can see differences in the execution between m2eclipse and
> command line when Maven 2.1.x is used. We hope that such regressions and
> incompatibilities will be fixed in the future releases of Maven 3.0. Note
> that m2eclipse is always using embedded Maven runtime when running Maven
> builder, importing projects and updating project configuration, however you
> can configure m2eclipse to use external Maven installation when launching
> Maven using "Run as… / Maven XXX" actions.
>

> The above statement seems incorrect... I can't clearly can't configure
> m2eclipse to use an external maven instance for the AUTO_BUILD. In fact, I
> tried to uninstall the "Maven Embedded v3.0.0.200912160759" but Haahahaha
> it
> say's it's required by other plugins - indicating that m2eclipse really is
> dependent on 3.0-SNAPSHOT.
>
> I just want to use eclipse 2.2.1, how can I do this? Can I rollback to an
> old version of m2eclipse? Life is very painful for everyone on my dev team
> right now :'(
>
> Any help would be most appreciated, cheers.
> --AH

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !