Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com> on 2009/01/14 01:29:30 UTC

[Vote] Release RC9 as M4

Here's the eagerly awaited M4 RC9:

http://people.apache.org/~rhs/qpid-M4-RC9/

Please review and vote.

--Rafael

Re: [Vote] Release RC9 as M4

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Awwh, shucks. Thanks Rafi - and well done for getting M4 out the door !

Made me smile. I shall endeavour to kep it up for M5 :-)

Regards,
Marnie

Re: [Vote] Release RC9 as M4

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.

Re: [Vote] Release RC9 as M4

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: [Vote] Release RC9 as M4

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com> wrote:

> By my count we have 7 +1's and no 0 or -1's, so I'm going to close the vote
> and declare RC9 is officially M4. I've copied it into the qpid dist
> directory, so hopefully it should show up at www.apache.org/dist/qpid/M4 on
> the next sync.

Woo!

- Aidan
http://qpid.apache.org

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: [Vote] Release RC9 as M4

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.

Re: [Vote] Release RC9 as M4

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Just a heads up that this vote will be closing soon, so if you want to
check out the RC and vote, please do so soon.

--Rafael

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Danushka Menikkumbura wrote:

>> I am going to do some site restructuring. You will note that if AMQP
>> is google Qpid shows up on page 7. Going
>> to do some work to try address this.
>>
> I am not aware of what is going on with the previous attempt of
> restructuring the site. I think that was pre-M3.

Just cleaning up pages on the wiki, making the content easier to
navigate. fixing titles etc is the type of stuff I am doing.
Home page is now a lot better - thanks all that helps. I have started
working on a FAQ, needs review and a lot more work
and a getting started I think is the next area to clean up.

Carl.

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.
> I am going to do some site restructuring. You will note that if AMQP
> is google Qpid shows up on page 7. Going
> to do some work to try address this.

I am not aware of what is going on with the previous attempt of
restructuring the site. I think that was pre-M3.

Danushka

--
Danushka Menikkumbura
Technical Lead, WSO2 Inc.

blog : http://danushka-menikkumbura.blogspot.com/

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <la...@apache.org>.
I'm in .. :-)

Lahiru

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <la...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>wrote:

> Jonathan Robie wrote:
>
>> I'm in!
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>> Carl Trieloff wrote:
>>

>>> I am going to do some site restructuring. You will note that if AMQP is
>>> google Qpid shows up on page 7. Going
>>> to do some work to try address this.
>>>
>>> Anyone else welcome to jump in.
>>> Carl.
>>>

> What I am working towards is getting five or six cleaned pages with AMQP in
> the URL links and text etc. So we have a set of
> cohesive pages for search robots.
>
> We might also want to add AMQP into the link tag from the Apache.org home
> page.
> We should check with ASF infra if we can put a mail footer on the mail
> lists, with some test and link the home page etc.
>
> Lahiru, are you able to see if that can be done?

Sure, I will have a look on it.

Lahiru

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ge...@dcs.gla.ac.uk>.
Hi Carl,

Ive added a couple of resized versions of the logo, it might as well
look its best while it is being used hehe.

I made the actual text about the same width as the menu column below it,
slightly wider than it normally would have been but not as wide as the
way it is now. I also increased the size of the feather on the Q to make
it a bit more obvious at the smaller logo size.

Ive attached 2 versions to the JIRA, one with padding so you could just
write over the top of the one that's there without changing the page
source, and one without the padding that needs the source updated to the
right image size (69x165).

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12398730/qpid_logo_test9_resized_padded.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12398731/qpid_logo_test9_resized.png

Robbie

Re: Some site re-org

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
2009/1/14 Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>:

> We should also http://www.nabble.com/ archive all our lists, if someone
> wants to do that. and set it up so people can post there and forward to our
> lists

Done: http://n2.nabble.com/Apache-Qpid-users-f2158936.html
and : http://n2.nabble.com/Apache-Qpid-developers-f2158895.html

RG

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 12:04 -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> Gordon Sim wrote:
> >> We should check with ASF infra if we can put a mail footer on the
> >> mail lists, with some test and link the home page etc.
> >
> > I'm not hugely keen on that idea.
>
> Doing this for the generated archives is probably sufficient. And the
> footer can be quite small.

I doubt we can get mod_mbox customised for just us. I am pretty unkeen on the idea of modifying messages as they come through.
If people want put things in their .sigs, that's obviously entirely up to them. ;)

- Aidan
--
Apache Qpid - AMQP based Enterprise Messaging http://qpid.apache.org
It’s a stupid, dangerous, HELLISH world . . . But don’t let it FRIGHTEN you!

RE: Solaris port? Solaris binaries?

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Jonathan,

> I'm talking to someone who wants a tested Solaris port, preferably
> binaries for Open Solaris.

Ok.

> Where are we at with that?

The port was not finished and the I/O layer has had a few changes
since the last work was done. There are a few jiras on it, I believe.

I have some Solaris machines and could develop the rest of this port
and build a kit if there's sufficient interest.

-Steve

Re: Solaris port? Solaris binaries?

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 15:57 -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> I'm talking to someone who wants a tested Solaris port, preferably
> binaries for Open Solaris.
>
> Where are we at with that?

Currently this port doesn't work.

Some work has been done to port to Solaris and we have an IO layer which
should work, but the full port hasn't been completed.

I think the remaining issues were to do with the Sun compiler rather
than the Solaris platform, so getting a working gcc compiled port would
probably be easiest.

I don't think anyone is running a regular Solaris build, so that is
another issue, for long term maintenance.

Andrew

Solaris port? Solaris binaries?

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
I'm talking to someone who wants a tested Solaris port, preferably
binaries for Open Solaris.

Where are we at with that?

Jonathan

RE: Some site re-org

Posted by mi...@jpmorgan.com.
I believe so, I'll send another.

Michael

JPMORGAN RPS | +: Michael.J.Billings@jpmorgan.com | (: 816-673-3905

"Robbie Gemmell" <ge...@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
01/14/2009 02:47 PM
Please respond to
dev@qpid.apache.org

<de...@qpid.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Some site re-org

Robbie

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ge...@dcs.gla.ac.uk>.

Robbie

How does one get off this distribution list?  I have tried following the
instructions of sending an empty email with no luck.

Thanks,
Michael

JPMORGAN RPS | +: Michael.J.Billings@jpmorgan.com | (: 816-673-3905

Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>
01/14/2009 12:04 PM
Please respond to
dev@qpid.apache.org

dev@qpid.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Some site re-org

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
michael.j.billings@jpmorgan.com wrote:
> How does one get off this distribution list?  I have tried following the
> instructions of sending an empty email with no luck.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael
>
> JPMORGAN RPS | +: Michael.J.Billings@jpmorgan.com | (: 816-673-3905

the low traffic list is users@qpid.apache.org

Carl.

announcing our graduation

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Apache will announce our graduation, via a press release.

I have some info on general form etc, but want to get input on a few
things before I send a draft out.

1.) Any points people want in the release about Qpid
2.) Key things we want to call out.
3.) I assume we want M4 done and refer to that in the press release.
4.) Companies can quote on the release. I will work to get a quote from
my employer. Other
companies also want to Quote in the release giving support to the project?

regards
Carl.

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
michael.j.billings@jpmorgan.com wrote:
> How does one get off this distribution list?  I have tried following the
> instructions of sending an empty email with no luck.

Did you get a confirmation mail for the unsubscribe? When did you send
your unsubscribe request?

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by mi...@jpmorgan.com.

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: Some site re-org[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Usually it's done via a vote. We could list the candidates in an email and
ask people to vote.
Only PMC member votes are binding, but everybody is encouraged to votes.

Regards,

Rajith.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 4:30 PM, William Henry <wh...@redhat.com> wrote:

> How/who decides which one gets picked. There are a few nice logos in there.
> The first one has a nice flow about it. Colors might match the AMQP colors.
>
> William
>
> ----- "Robbie Gemmell" <ge...@dcs.gla.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > I recalled seeing some logos buried in JIRA somewhere when I was
> > reading the
> > mailing last backlogs :)
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-53
> >
> > Robbie

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: Some site re-org[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
Carl Trieloff wrote:
> Rajith Attapattu wrote:
>> Thats the very first thing came to my mind :)
>> I don't think it's a bad idea :)
>
> what about shooting (with bow) the Apache feather?

Sounds good. So when is Anne Geddes available to take the pictures ;->

Jonathan

Re: Some site re-org[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thats the very first thing came to my mind :)
I don't think it's a bad idea :)

Rajith

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: Some site re-org[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <la...@apache.org>.
Hi Robbie,

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
William Henry wrote:
> How/who decides which one gets picked. There are a few nice logos in there. The first one has a nice flow about it. Colors might match the AMQP colors.
>
> William

pick one start a vote, or do it and say does anyone object :-)

Carl.

Re: Some site re-org[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

Posted by William Henry <wh...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ge...@dcs.gla.ac.uk>.

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <la...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.
>> We should check with ASF infra if we can put a mail footer on the
>> mail lists, with some test and link the home page etc.
>
> I'm not hugely keen on that idea.
Well I think this will help.

Danushka

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
Carl Trieloff wrote:
> What I am working towards is getting five or six cleaned pages with AMQP
> in the URL links and text etc.

Though not directly related to ranking in that particular search, the
front page is a little ugly compared to other projects.

Is there anyone with design skills that could make it look a little
nicer? That will make it more likely that those who do find the page
spend more time looking at what we have to offer.

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
I'm in!

Jonathan

Re: Telling Google about qpid.apache.org

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
Jonathan Robie wrote:
> By the way, I also modified the Wikipedia page for AMQP to use the
> correct URLs. Wikipedia now uses nofollow attributes to discourage
> search engines from taking their links too seriously, I'm not sure
> whether they take that hint from Wikipedia or not, people still seem to
> think that Wikipedia links are useful.

I've done the same for the amqp.org supporting products page.

Re: Telling Google about qpid.apache.org

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.
Hi Jonathan,

Apart from what you have just mentioned, we need to think of the
following as well.

1. Blogging extensively on Apache Qpid because Google puts lot of weight
on blog posts. So, as we have been discussing in another thread, its
time to have an official blog for Qpid.

2. Secondly, micro-blogging. We can Tweet.

3. Active participation in dev forums is effective, not related directly
to telling Google about Qpid, though.

Danushka

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
http://qpid.apache.org/index.html

- Needs to use AMQP in the title, e.g. "Apache Qpid: AMQP Messaging for
Java, C++, Python, Ruby, and .NET"
- The page also needs to use AMQP in headers that are displayed on the
page. Best would be one big title that contains the above text.

Jonathan

Telling Google about qpid.apache.org

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
People clearly want to increase our Google ranking. I've done this on
some projects, here are some initial thoughts.

1. Pick one page to promote

I think qpid.apache.org is the page to promote. The links we create to
promote the site should all point to this one page.

2. Decide which Google searches we care about

"Apache Qpid" - given our URL, this is particularly easy
"AMQP", "AMQP C++", "AMQP Python" - we can probably do well on searches
like these without too much effort
"Enterprise Messaging" - lots and lots of competition here, with long
established pages and big marketing departments.

It's best to pick a small number of searches we think people will really do.

3. Create meaningful links to our page from existing, meaningful content

It often works best to have pages lower down all point to a single high
level page, and to have as many meaningful links among the pages of the
site as is reasonable for human users - Google appreciates these links
as well. If the links aren't useful for humans, leave them out. Google
tries to do what is right for humans, and they actually punish sites
that look like they are playing games to hack Google.

Google likes links from content clearly related to the search term, to
content clearly related to the search term, where the link seems to make
sense. Tightly linked clusters of pages tend to do best on this.  We
want these links to leverage the search terms in text, titles, or
directory names.

3. a. Doxygen

As a first step, I've modified the headers for C++ Doxygen so that it
(1) links to the Qpid home page, and (2) uses the term AMQP in the link.
I'll check this in soon, and we can add this to our site.

3.b. Mailing list archives

We could also add similar links to the html generated for our mailing
list archives, so that a header or a footer in each message, or perhaps
each table of contents page, or both, points to the home page.

If anyone wants to put links to the qpid home page in signatures they
use to post to other lists, that's great too. Especially if you post to
lists related to AMQP, that will convince Google that we're interesting.

3.c. Pydoc

I'll be generating html for pydoc, and I'll see about putting links into
these as well.

3.d. Wiki pages

Headers and footers on Wiki pages would also be useful. Again, there are
a lot of pages with the right content, we want it pointing to us.

Other low hanging fruit?

4. Avoid trying to hack Google!

If Google thinks you are trying to hack them, they can actually throw
you out altogether for a period of time, and your pages will take a long
time to recover from that. Use meaningful, reasonable links.

5. Be patient

It takes time to see how well your optimizations are working. At least
days or weeks to see early results, months to rise to more choice
positions. Google reranks things slowly to discourage lots of hacking.

Jonathan

Re: Some site re-org

Posted by William Henry <wh...@redhat.com>.
Will do.  I'm also going to download rabbitmq to see what the out-of-the-box experience is like.

I apologize guys, I really need to set aside some time each week to blog with some examples etc. I'll step up my blogging  efforts and see if I can generate more traffic.

Some site re-org

Re: [Vote] Release RC9 as M4

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:29 AM, Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Here's the eagerly awaited M4 RC9:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rhs/qpid-M4-RC9/
>
> Please review and vote.

I've tested that:
* the java binary broker starts up
* the JMX interface works via the cli etc.
* the java and c++ build from the main source distribution
* the java tests pass against with the default, java and cpp profiles
* the checksums and signatures match

+1 to release

- Aidan
http://qpid.apache.org

Re: [Vote] Release RC9 as M4

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

Regards,

Rajith

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>wrote:

> +1
>
> RG
>
> 2009/1/15 Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>:
> > Ted Ross wrote:

> >> +1
> >>
> >> I've verified that the issues affecting the last two RCs have been
> fixed.
> >>
> >> -Ted
> >>

> > +1
> >
> > Carl.

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: [Vote] Release RC9 as M4

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [Vote] Release RC9 as M4

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Ted Ross wrote:
> Rafael Schloming wrote:
>> Here's the eagerly awaited M4 RC9:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~rhs/qpid-M4-RC9/
>>
>> Please review and vote.
>>
>> --Rafael
> +1
>
> I've verified that the issues affecting the last two RCs have been fixed.
>
> -Ted

+1

Carl.

Re: [Vote] Release RC9 as M4

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.

Re: [Vote] Release RC9 as M4

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
Rafael Schloming wrote:
> Here's the eagerly awaited M4 RC9:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rhs/qpid-M4-RC9/
>
> Please review and vote.

Looks good to me[1]; I vote to release it.

[1] based on make check, make install of c++, running ruby and python
tests and python command line tools against c++ broker, compile and test
of selected c++ examples, java broker starting and running 0-8 python
tests against java broker.

RE: [Vote] Release RC9 as M4

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
> Here's the eagerly awaited M4 RC9: