Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/08 04:10:53 UTC

Being a PMC Member (Re: Pruning committers and pmc members)

Dinesh,

Please read the ws charter [1], specifically section 5.3 which says:

5.3 The PMC has the following responsibilities:
a) Accepting new subproject proposals, formally submitting these
proposals for committer vote, and creating the subproject (see
SUBPROJECTS below). This is done in collaboration with the Incubator
(see http://incubator.apache.org).
b) Facilitating code or other donations by individuals or companies in
collaboration with the Incubator.
c) Resolving license issues and other legal issues in conjunction with
the ASF board.
d) Ensuring that administrative and infrastructure work is completed.
e) Facilitating relationships among projects and subprojects.
f) Facilitating relationships between webservices.apache.org and the
external world.
g) Overseeing webservices.apache.org to ensure that the mission
defined in this document is being fulfilled.
h) Resolving conflicts within the project.
i) Reporting to the ASF board (through the Chair) on the progress of
the project.

So, sorry to burst the bubble, the PMC members are on the hook. They
have rights and responsibilities. Which they can't discharge if they
are not active. No, just being active in a project is *not* enough. If
folks can't do the needful, they should step down and change their
status to emeritus.

thanks,
dims

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/admin/trunk/Charter.txt