Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by David Morris <Da...@plumcreek.com> on 2003/01/03 17:22:56 UTC

Beta 1.3 pulls tag values from wrong bean

Yesterday I installed beta 1.3 on three development systems running
Struts and
ran into a few problems. They were all working OK with beta 1.2. I will
enter bug
reports in Bugzilla, but I want to narrow this down as much as possible
first.

The first issue seems to be with the way plugins initialize. With 1.2
the plugin I
was calling using fine, now with 1.3 I get an error. That is happening
with the
struts menu on Source Forge. I am using version 1.1 Beta 2 of the menu
code
so I will try updating to the final 1.1 before calling this a bug.

The next error was with the bean utils populate. With the struts beta 3
version
I get a null pointer exception in some code that I wrote. Reverting to
beanutils
1.4.1 fixed that problem. To revert, I rebuilt struts and my code using
1.4.1 of
beanutils.

After getting this site working with no struts menu and beanutils
1.4.1, I found
that in some cases, the nested text tag is pulling bean values from the
wrong
place. I have a form bean with a collection that contains detail line
values. I
also have a business rules bean with a collection of current detail
line values. My
jsp page pulls values from the business rules bean detail line
collection using
nested tags. When the form is submitted, the form bean detail line
collection
is updated. The problem is that when the form is being built, it is
pulling values
from the form bean rather than the business rules bean. This corrects
itself
when I go to another form and return.

Any suggestions on how I can help you understand these issues? It is
pretty
easy for me to build struts and step through the code I have in debug
to see
what is happening. I am thinking that this could all be related to the
beanutils
problem and my use of 1.4.1 rather than the beta3 tagged version.

Thanks,

David Morris