Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/30 03:34:54 UTC

[Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Please review and vote on this 3.6.0 Cadence Release.

Release issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-7383

Repos ready to be released have been published to
dist/dev:https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/cordova/CB-7383

The packages were published from their corresponding git tags:
    cordova-android: 3.6.0 (014327c59a)
    cordova-ios: 3.6.0 (3a92b2dbf0)
    cordova-blackberry: 3.6.0 (ed435bfc9e)
    cordova-windows: 3.6.0 (cdb292f4a3)
    cordova-wp8: 3.6.0 (a879f5258b)
    cordova-firefoxos: 3.6.0 (9ab176f855)

    cordova-ubuntu: 3.6.0 (bff472e4c2)
    cordova-amazon-fireos: 3.6.0 (4e94c6d198)
    cordova-js: 3.6.0 (906b34c0a4)
    cordova-mobile-spec: 3.6.0 (27053f7dd8)
    cordova-app-hello-world: 3.6.0 (65a2171a19)

    cordova-cli: 3.6.0-0.2.8 (01cb09f2d1)
    cordova-lib: 0.21.8 (14670ec9b5)
    cordova-plugman: 0.22.5 (29488fce7e)

Upon a successful vote I will upload the archives to dist/, publish
them to NPM, and post the corresponding blog post.

Voting guidelines:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/release-voting.md

Voting will go on for a minimum of 72 hours.

I vote +1:
* Ran coho audit-license-headers over the relevant repos
* Used `license-checker` to ensure all dependencies have
Apache-compatible licenses
* Ensured continuous build was green when repos were tagged

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
This won't be an issue until a plugins release, but in the plugins should the version of the test plugin (cordova-plugin-*/tests/plugin.xml) also be incremented at the same time and to the same value as the plugin itself?

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
Restarting the vote will not allow us to complete it before Steve is on
vacation, but assuming the vote passes, we can still release it regardless.

If the only issues that come up today are administrative, I would like to
recommend that we do a quick vote, on the assumption that the
platforms/projects themselves are all okay, and it is just issues with
tags+versionnumbers and whatnot.

@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
I looked at BigTop, and it's using C-style comment syntax.  I'm adding the
headers now.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
I updated the archive in dist-dev with this new content and tag.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Josh Soref <js...@blackberry.com>.
Joe Bowser wrote:
>I think we do ship the native tests.

You do. They just don't end up in cordova projects.

> The problem with the native tests is that they're unique to Android and
> don't have a home elsewhere.  I would prefer not shipping them, but that
> means we have to create a new repository.

You should be able to work through this (by reorganizing your git
repository).

consider:
https://registry.npmjs.org/cordova-lib/-/cordova-lib-0.21.9.tgz
From cordova-lib it doesn't have things in the spec-* directories

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
I think we do ship the native tests. The problem with the native tests is

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
If you want to, now is the time.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Josh Soref <js...@blackberry.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Jason Proctor <ja...@redfish.net>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Josh Soref <js...@blackberry.com>.
Jason Proctor wrote:
>i upgraded to what looked like 3.6.0 earlier this week and ran into some
>firefoxos build issues - no module called shelljs or similar. fortunately
>the downgrade worked so i'm back in business.
>
>has this issue been fixed in the current 3.6.0 candidate?
>
>(i'd like to upgrade to see whether a couple of other firefoxos issues
>have
>been sorted.)

$ cordova create ss
Creating a new cordova project with name "HelloCordova" and id
"io.cordova.hellocordova" at location "/private/tmp/ss"
Downloading cordova library for www...
Download complete
$ cd ss
$ cordova platform add firefoxos@rc
npm http GET https://registry.npmjs.org/cordova-firefoxos
npm http 200 https://registry.npmjs.org/cordova-firefoxos
npm http GET
https://registry.npmjs.org/cordova-firefoxos/-/cordova-firefoxos-3.6.1.tgz
npm http 200
https://registry.npmjs.org/cordova-firefoxos/-/cordova-firefoxos-3.6.1.tgz
Creating firefoxos project...
Project Path ../../../tmp/ss/platforms/firefoxos
Package Name io.cordova.hellocordova
Project Name HelloCordova
$ cordova build
Running command: /tmp/ss/platforms/firefoxos/cordova/build
Cleaning Firefoxos project
Firefox OS packaged app built in platforms/firefoxos/build/package.zip

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Jason Proctor <ja...@redfish.net>.
newbie chiming in...

i upgraded to what looked like 3.6.0 earlier this week and ran into some
firefoxos build issues - no module called shelljs or similar. fortunately
the downgrade worked so i'm back in business.

has this issue been fixed in the current 3.6.0 candidate?

(i'd like to upgrade to see whether a couple of other firefoxos issues have
been sorted.)

thanks for all the effort

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
That looks better. Thanks!

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
I'm looking at the 3.6.x branch of the wp8 repo, and seeing some strange things:

- the 3.6.0 tag is not at the head of the 3.6.x branch. It's not at the head of master either. It looks to be on a branch that has no head. Doesn't make sense to me.
- the addition of "bundledDependencies" to the package.json [f5453b9] is not in the 3.6.x branch. But it is on that unnamed branch with the 3.6.0 tag.
- the removal of "-dev" from package.json [f6690f1] is not fully in the 3.6.x branch. It still says "-dev" in the description property. But it is on that unnamed branch with the 3.6.0 tag.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
I will get to this today.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

RE: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by "Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH)" <pa...@microsoft.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
Yes. I can do that.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

RE: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Anytime we have a mistake that can easily be avoided or validated by automation, it would seem to be a good thing to automate.

Today I had a thought about adding another option to createmobilespec.js to instantiate the test project from whatever is in cordova-dist-dev and the rest from npm / plugin registry. Any feedback on that being worthwhile?

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
I think validation should be part of VOTE, actually as the first step to
testing a release.  No sense testing a proposed release if its not known to
be the right thing.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Josh Soref <js...@blackberry.com>.
We need to have a second registry for staging instead of the official one.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Hum, Marcel ignore my recommendation.

 I think the version is the id that can not be publish again, not the the
npm tag (i.e. rc, latest). So it means that package.json is the one that
contains the version "3.6.1" that can only be publish once.

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
You have to vote on the final artifact as it will be shipped to end users.
 The problem with voting for tags is that its prone to us making mistakes
with the packaging (happens all the time, btw).

If final step of the releases was "now go update package.json and
re-package everything, then just go ahead and publish since its already
been voted on" that opens up that loophole again (as Jesse says).

-Michal

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Yep I agree with Marcel flow, vote on content from dist-dev including
everything from dist-dev (platform, cli, plugman, plugins) when vote passes
publish from dev-dist to both dist and npm
Does coho currently use to publish to dist and npm.

I propose that we update coho to do a verification on the publishing. coho
after doing a publish to npm, turns around and does a npm install of what
just published and does a compare against content dist/

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

RE: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com>.
Marcel, thanks a lot!

We haven't yet restarted the vote due to the npm-publish issues, so I'll pull this in for release. For tools, since we don't create branches, I'll just bump the version and place a new tag at the head of master.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
We haven't yet restarted the vote due to the npm-publish issues, so I'll pull this in for release. For tools, since we don't create branches, I'll just bump the version and place a new tag at the head of master.

On Sep 5, 2014, at 3:56 AM, Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon) <v-...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Just found out that the following fix has been landed to master only and not included to LIB release, I don't want to break the voting since we have a workaround for this, but if we do another voting round by some another reason, please include it.
>
> https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/commit/165863134c31f4203c2bdbee6f5720baf48fee17
>
> Thx!
> Sergey

RE: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

If memory serves, there was a problem discovered a while back with 0.0.1rc1 being "greater than" 0.0.1 in the alphabetical sort order. So if your dependencies didn't pin to exactly "0.0.1" then users could end up with some rc's in their node_modules folder when dependencies were installed.

If we could solve that problem, and if we'd be willing to change the package.json between rc and final, then it could probably work.

I'm interested to see how painless we can make --usegit.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
Well, for some reason we deviated from that last release.  I don't know why
but Steve proposed the change and it made sense at the time.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
0.0.1rc1
0.0.1rc2

no?

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
I think we have unintentionally shot ourselves in the foot.

While trying to "npm publish" the updated 3.6.0 rc snapshots of android/amazon-fireos/windows/wp8, npm is rejecting it with:

    npm ERR! Error: forbidden cannot modify pre-existing version: 3.6.0

When I do an "npm info cordova-android", it already knows the 3.6.0 version (because it parsed it from first rc's package.json), even though the "latest" tag points at 3.5.1 and the "rc" tag points at 3.6.0.

I found the following items:

https://github.com/npm/npm-registry-couchapp/issues/148

...if you publish foo@1.2.3, you can still un-publish foo@1.2.3. But then, you will not be able to publish something else to that same package identifier. Not now, not never. Deleting documents entirely will be forbidden...
If the bits are gone, ok, it's an error, you notice and deal with it. But if the bits are changed, then this can be really hazardous.

https://www.npmjs.org/doc/cli/npm-publish.html

Fails if the package name and version combination already exists in the registry. Once a package is published with a given name and version, that specific name and version combination can never be used again, even if it is removed with npm-unpublish(1).

So we can not publish to npm the updates for android/amazon-fireos/windows/wp8 as they currently exist.

One idea would be to bump the version of android/amazon-fireos/windows/wp8 to 3.6.1, both in dist.a.o and in npm. And we could leave all the other platforms/tools at 3.6.0. Except that we would also need to bump those references in cordova-lib/cordova-lib/src/platforms.js, and then bump the reference in cordova-cli to use this newer cordova-lib. Not pretty, but it should work technically. Sigh.

Other ideas?

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

RE: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by "Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH)" <pa...@microsoft.com>.
Agree with Jesse. If you still want to test it, I tried doing it with a private npm registry, and changed my npm to pick up from that registry. I did not see a lot of value added though. I did this when I was playing with the idea of using npm to use plugins.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Bryan Higgins <br...@bryanhiggins.net>.
+1

Re: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by Archana Naik <na...@gmail.com>.
vote +1

RE: [Vote] 3.6.0 Cadence Release

Posted by "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com>.
I vote +1:
* Verified signatures and hashes for cordova-cli, cordova-lib, cordova-plugman, cordova-windows, cordova-wp8
* Verified sha1s match tags for cordova-cli, cordova-lib, cordova-plugman, cordova-windows, cordova-wp8