Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rex Brooks <re...@starbourne.com> on 2006/05/15 18:49:54 UTC

[users@httpd] SSL Problem Still not Solved in Apache2-RHEL4

I'm still stuck with httpd not starting while mod_ssl included in
Apache2.0 in RHEL4.

httpd will start without mod_ssl.

However, connection is then refused at both of the Virtual Hosts I'm
using together:
Default=mysqld-php portal;
Other=Derby-tomcat-jsp ebxmlrr registry;
so I returned to turned mod_ssl back on.

error_log:
[date-time] [notice] core dump file size limit raised to 4294967295 bytes
[date-time] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec)
[date-time] [error] Server should be SSL-aware but has no certificate
configured [Hint: SSLCertificateFile]

Note: 'SSLEngine on' is specified in both the httpd.conf and the
ssl.conf files. I found one question in my research where this
duplication was a problem in conjunction with duplicated ssl
variables/settings. Unfortunately the version of apache and OS were
not specified, but removing 'SSLEngine on' from httpd.conf caused no
change in the condition, so I returned to initial conditions again.

Vitals:

ssl.conf:
SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd.conf/sslkey/server.key

permissions:
[root@XXXX ssl.crt]# ls -al
total 40
drwx------  2 root root 4096 May 13 08:06 .
drwxr-xr-x  7 root root 4096 May 13 08:23 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1773 May  8 17:22 cacert.pem
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1522 Feb 28  2005 Makefile.crt
-rw-------  1 root root 1497 May  8 21:27 server.crt
[root@XXX ssl.crt]# cd ..
[root@@XXX conf]# cd ssl.key
[root@XXX ssl.key]# ls -al
total 48
drwx------  2 root root 4096 Feb 28  2005 .
drwxr-xr-x  7 root root 4096 May 13 08:23 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1751 May  8 17:18 privkey.pem
-rw-------  1 root root  963 May  8 21:23 server.key

As you can see, the server.crt and server.key files are not publicly
readable, but I do not have specific lines in ssl.conf for cacert.pem
or privkey.pem. The documentaton for apache-ssl specfically mentions
pem-encoding as does the Apache Model mod_ssl documentation. Could
this be a problem?

The SSLCACertificatePath is commented in ssl.conf. Could this be a problem?

I haven't changed or questioned all of the variables, including
DocumentRoot and ServerName which are also commented.

I have to find a solution to this. It's one of those things that just
isn't optional for me. Sorry to be a pain.

Rex
--
Rex Brooks
President, CEO

Re: [users@httpd] SSL Problem Still not Solved in Apache2-RHEL4

Posted by Bill Jones <te...@gmail.com>.
On 5/15/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> I wrote support/win32/wintty.c to create a console window on the fly for
> such a dialog, letting the service speak with the user at the console.
> Obviously, it's win32 specific.  But I can't imagine it would be impossible
> to create a similar tty piped window applet on Unix, if someone is up to
> the challenge.

Maybe reimplemented as an irssi ncurses window?

I was thinking something along these lines earlier trying various ssh
Perl scripts but I do not know how to handle detecting the local
console versus someone who is ssh'ed in restarting  the server (at any
rate I have never gotten the Enter Passphrase prompt when using
service httpd start) -- bottom line is that some human will have to
enter the passphrase manually =(

--
WC (Bill) Jones -- http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/

Re: [users@httpd] SSL Problem Still not Solved in Apache2-RHEL4

Posted by Rex Brooks <re...@starbourne.com>.
Thanks Bill,

I will be running Bill Jones' suggestion first in the a.m. around
4:00 a.m. We'll see where I go from there. I will post the results as
soon as I know. Given the project this effort is designed for,
security concerns are going to get more, not less important, but I
will just have to deal with that when I get there.

Thanks very much,
Rex

Posted by Rex Brooks <re...@starbourne.com>.
Thanks again, Bill,

Thinking through this as I tried Bill Jones' suggestions, it appears
that the PassPhrase with or without a dialog applet is not at fault
here.

The first time this start failure occurred it was immediately after
registering a new user in the ebxmllrr -3.0-beta1 registry using the
web browser interface where the instructions walk you through the
process of importing the key into the browser.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Rex Brooks <re...@starbourne.com>.
Thanks Bill,

Since I am a morning person, I will do this at about 4:00 a.m. in the
morning here on the left coast. I would love to try it now and
confirm it, but I've learned better. I just want to be on the safe
side, or the safe side, and I know for sure I am better at being
careful in the early a.m.

I will post the results as soon as I know.

Thanks again,
Rex

Posted by Rex Brooks <re...@starbourne.com>.
Thanks Bill,

Sounds like a plan. Did not know about octal.  As for SSL being at
fault, I based that only on the error message and the fact that
removing mod_ssl allows httpd to start. The fact that it starts but
won't accept connections seems signficant, and it seems like the
VirtualHost settings in httpd.config and ssl.conf might be another
set of tests to consider. However, one thing at a time.

Thanks again,
Rex

Posted by Bill Jones <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rex Brooks <re...@starbourne.com>.
I tried both of Bill's suggestions and neither solved the problem
yet.  The error message steadfastly remains the same. At least its
consistent.

Just a slight note, there was a typo on the modssl.org page which got
transferred:

openssl rsa -in server.key.org -out server.key

should be:

openssl rsa -in server.key.orig -out server.key

also the chmod 0400 should be chmod 400, but neither of those
impacted the results: The passphrase was removed but httpd still
failed to start.

We KNOW mod_ssl is at fault here, since, beyond the error message,
httpd starts when mod_ssl is removed. We also know that when it is
removed the VirtualHosts won't accept connections. AND, it appears
that the PassPhrase is not responsible. (Note, I said, appears, since
I am wondering if I actually need to be logged in as my user and then
become root, instead of being logged in as root, which I have been?)

Regardless, there ought to be a process of elimination which will
isolate the culprit in here somewhere.

Unfortunately, SSL is not optional.

Thanks,
Rex

Posted by Bill Jones <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rex Brooks <re...@starbourne.com>.
Sorry the thread is so confusing. I tried to boil the symptoms down
to the basics in that last post.

I have Apache2 in RHEL4, so I am assuming that the SSL Sections you
refer to are in ssl.conf which is loaded as a DSO. What I have does
not match the page specified, at least not exactly or in the
sequence. However, there are matching items.

For instance in my ssl.conf file I have There are also items
commented that are not commented in the sample you referred me to. I
decided to just attach the file.

Posted by Bill Jones <te...@gmail.com>.