Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Damien Dykman <da...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/17 20:23:40 UTC

/export - Why need sort criteria (4.10.2)?

The /export request handler mandates a sort order. Is there a particular
reason?

It'd be nice to have the option to tell Solr: "just export in the order
you want", to limit any kind of overhead added by sorting. Or am I
missing something? If exports were distributed, I can see the need for
some kind of sort order, but they are not.

BTW, kudos for adding this feature, it rocks and seems to scale really
well :-) Though, I did see some weird behaviors (NullPointerException @
SortingResponseWriter.java:784) in some cases. I'll further investigate
and if I manage to make that issue a little more deterministic and
reproducible, I'll share my findings.

Thanks,
Damien

Re: /export - Why need sort criteria (4.10.2)?

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

There is more functionality planned for the /export feature, including your
recommendation of exporting with no sort order. The initial release was
designed to support use cases that rely on sorting. This blog discussing
some these use cases:

http://heliosearch.org/solrs-new-sorting-engine/

You'll want to be using the 4.10.3 version which has a format change and
bug fix. If you still run into the NPE, please share your findings.

Joel Bernstein
Search Engineer at Heliosearch