Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Andrew van Renen <av...@hotmail.com> on 2002/08/30 13:06:23 UTC

case inconsistencies on Windows file names

I ran into an inconsistency with the way case in file names is handled.  I
had a file with an uppercase suffix (foo.XML), but in my build file I
refered to it as foo.xml.

I used zip to back it up, and then delete to remove it.  The zip task could
not find it, but the delete/available tasks did (not an ideal combination,
as you can imagine).

What is the rule for case handling in Ant on Windows, and which of the 2
tasks is in error?

(The code looked like:
    <available property="to.exists" file="${to}" type="file"/>
    <antcall target="backup_file"/>
    <delete file="${to}" quiet="true"/>
    .
    .
    <target name="backup_file" if="to.exists">
        <dirname property="to.path" file="${to}"/>
        <basename property="to.filename" file="${to}"/>
        <zip destfile="${backup_zip}" update="true" whenempty="create">
            <fileset dir="${to.path}" includes="${to.filename}"/>
        </zip>
    .
    .)

Andrew

Re: case inconsistencies on Windows file names

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.
--- Andrew van Renen <av...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I ran into an inconsistency with the way case in file names is handled.
> I  had a file with an uppercase suffix (foo.XML), but in my build file I

> refered to it as foo.xml.

<fileset> has a 'casesensitive' attribute you can use to turn off
case-sensitivity (it's on by default).

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)