Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Edmon Begoli <eb...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/12 00:52:00 UTC

Roadmap

Is there a development/feature roadmap yet for Arrow releases?

If so, can we put it on Github/project wiki?

Re: Roadmap

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@cloudera.com>.
hi Edmon,

There is no official roadmap yet. For now, JIRA is the point of record:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-64?jql=project%20%3D%20arrow

If you have a well-defined feature or a bug with any of the code,
please create an issue there. If you are concerned about whether
something is "in scope" for Arrow, feel free to ask here. We'll need
to continue to have discussions and make decisions on the mailing list
and JIRA.

>From my end, my general personal priorities are:

- Filling gaps in the specification (e.g. metadata/schemas; hopefully
some patches forthcoming here)
- Ensuring the C++ reference implementation fully implements the
specification and it is all available from Python
- Ensuring the Java and C++ reference implementations can share memory
and schemas with each other
- Enabling Python programmers to convert between their data structures
(built-in Python objects, pandas, and NumPy) and Arrow memory
- Exposing an Arrow reader interface for Parquet files in C++
- Implementing algorithms (e.g. hash tables) for Arrow memory

Each of these high level goals will spawn many low-level JIRAs.

best,
Wes