Posted to ftpserver-users@mina.apache.org by Martin Wunderlich <ma...@censhare.de> on 2013/09/26 16:52:14 UTC

Error during file transfer: "550 - Permission denied"

Dear all,

I have just joined this list, because I started working on an integration of the Apache FtpServer into an existing project. So far, things have gone well and I can connect to the FTP server. However, when trying to upload a file, I get an "550 - Permission denied" error. I have checked that the target directory has read&write access enabled for all users. The server is running in active mode without SSL encryption.

Here is the full log (copied from FileZilla):

Status:	Resolving address of localhost
Status:	Connecting to [::1]:4242...
Status:	Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server", trying next address.
Status:	Connecting to 127.0.0.1:4242...
Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:	220 Service ready for new user.
Command:	USER ftpuser
Response:	331 User name okay, need password for ftpuser.
Command:	PASS *******
Response:	230 User logged in, proceed.
Command:	OPTS UTF8 ON
Response:	200 Command OPTS okay.
Command:	OPTS MLST size;modify;type;
Response:	200 Command OPTS okay.
Status:	Connected
Status:	Retrieving directory listing...
Command:	PWD
Response:	257 "/" is current directory.
Status:	Directory listing successful
Status:	Starting upload of /Users/marw/Desktop/TestFile.png
Command:	PORT 127,0,0,1,210,173
Response:	200 Command PORT okay.
Command:	STOR TestFile.png
Response:	550 /Users/ftpuser/Public/TestFile.png: Permission denied.
Error:	Critical file transfer error

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Is it related to the way I have set up the Apache FTP server or is it something else?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind regards,

Martin

Re: Error during file transfer: "550 - Permission denied"

Posted by Martin Wunderlich <ma...@censhare.de>.
Hi again,

After some digging through the source code, I found the actual root cause. In my UserManager I hadn't implemented the list of so-called authorities. It is also not clear from the documentation how this should be implemented or what the purpose of an "authority" is. Perhaps someone could shed some light on this.
Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,

Martin

Posted by Martin Wunderlich <ma...@censhare.de>.

Posted by Martin Wunderlich <ma...@censhare.de>.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply, Matthew.

No, I did not create users via a UserManagerFactory. I have implemented my own UserManager class, because I would like to authenticate against our own authentication system. This UserManager implements the required interface and is attached to the ServerFactory.  The authentication takes places in the "authenticate" method, which returns the user object when successful. This bit seems to work fine, since I can log in alright from an FTP client.

But maybe I misunderstand the background for your question?