Posted to dev@crunch.apache.org by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> on 2012/11/01 10:20:29 UTC

Re: Crunch 0.4.0 release preparation

Hi,

On Wednesday, 2012-10-31, Josh Wills wrote:
> Matthias, I'd like to nominate you for release manager, if you're up for
> it. :) I'd also like Roman to weigh in on this thread so we're sure we have
> everything we need for Bigtop integration.

Sure, I'll do it unless someone else volunteers, but I might need a
bit of help in case we have to roll back a release candidate. You know
I'm no git expert.

In general I think we should have at least three people who know how
to cut a release so we can take turns and progress isn't blocked when
someone is busy.

> @Rahul, I'll try to get CRUNCH-97 in this week, but I'm not betting on it
> being ready.

Hmm, since CRUNCH-97 has the potential of being extremely useful, I
think we should spend some extra time to make sure it's as generally
applicable as possible. I expect that this may take a couple of review
cycles, so maybe it's better to postpone it (or add it and mark it as
beta?).

What do you think about building a first release candidate on Sunday
(in the afternoon CET)? After we get the thumbs up from Roman, of
course.

Regards,
  Matthias

Re: Crunch 0.4.0 release preparation

Posted by Josh Wills <jw...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Gabriel Reid <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01 Nov 2012, at 10:20, Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> wrote:
>
> > In general I think we should have at least three people who know how
> > to cut a release so we can take turns and progress isn't blocked when
> > someone is busy.
>
> +1. I definitely want to get in on this too, although I won't be able to
> participate in it this week(end). I'm not familiar with the whole release
> process, and I definitely want to change that.

It's actually pretty painless. The only trouble I had last time was when I
had to make some changes to the initial RC, but we added instructions about
how to do that to the release guide:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CRUNCH/Release+Guide

Also, Matthias, I checked with Pat last time: you don't need to be part of
the Apache web of trust in order to do an incubator release, so don't worry
about that yet. We'll need to get everybody in once we're a TLP.

--
Director of Data Science
Cloudera <http://www.cloudera.com>

Re: Crunch 0.4.0 release preparation