Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Abel Muiño <am...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/24 19:32:32 UTC

Alignment of maven 3.0 dependencies and Eclipse IP approved libraries

Hello!

Eclipse IAM will start integrating the alpha builds (the goal is adapt to
the changes as they come along).

The first step for that is getting IP clearance from Eclipse, so we have
submitted most of the alpha-2 dependencies quite successfully.

However, we have been asked if it would be possible to replace a few of them
with versions that have been already approved by the Eclipse legal team.

Since m2e is also an Eclipse project, I think that it could be interesting
to align the dependencies (when that's possible).

Let me know if that is interesting and I'll get back to you with the
details.

Yours,
  Abel Muiño, Eclipse IAM project lead.

-----
http://www.linkedin.com/in/amuino Abel Mui&ntilde;o Vizcaino  -
http://ramblingabout.wordpress.com http://ramblingabout.wordpress.com

Re: refactoring Was: Alignment of maven 3.0 dependencies and Eclipse IP approved libraries

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 26/02/2009, at 6:17 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 24-Feb-09, at 5:53 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>

>> On 25/02/2009, at 6:57 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>

>>> We actually don't know until the round of refactoring that's going
>>> to happen starting next week. Myself, Benjamin, John, Oleg, and
>>> Shane will be doing the lion's share of the refactoring in the
>>> project builder, plugin manager, lifecycle executor and the
>>> repository system so we don't know what exactly will work as
>>> expected and how that will effect changes in plexus.
>>
>> Are you going to post some details beforehand? I'm kind of
>> interested in fixing the reporting mess.
>>

> Kohsuke is going to be at the meetup and I plan to address the idea
> or reporting in Hudson and in Maven. There is a proliferation of
> duplicated reporting plugins and the crux of the issue is data
> generation versus document generation. Maven itself needs to move
> toward the production of data. Then anything can pick up the data
> and generate reports, or create trending information. But this whole
> system needs to be decoupled from Maven's core so really anything
> can be worked on independently which is what I'm trying to do with
> Vincent and the separation of the rendering engine in XWiki. I plan
> to give a presentation at the meetup on the XWiki rendering engine.

Yes, I'm fully in support of this. I did this back to front
originally, trying to replicate M1 functionality and add data point
handling to the reporting-api later, but it never quite fit without
being there from the outset. Unfortunately now the rendering part that
really isn't core is wound in too tightly because there was no way to
do that from within the site plugin where it really belongs. I'm
actually way more interested in getting involved in data point
tracking than rendering now TBH :)

Anyway, I just want to make sure all this stuff cycles through the
list since that's really key to your objective of getting more people
involved. I know my face time/phone time/IRC time is becoming more
limited by the day :)

Thanks,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: refactoring Was: Alignment of maven 3.0 dependencies and Eclipse IP approved libraries

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

>>> We actually don't know until the round of refactoring that's going to
>>> happen starting next week. Myself, Benjamin, John, Oleg, and Shane will be
>>> doing the lion's share of the refactoring in the project builder, plugin
>>> manager, lifecycle executor and the repository system so we don't know what
>>> exactly will work as expected and how that will effect changes in plexus.
>>
>> Are you going to post some details beforehand? I'm kind of interested in
>> fixing the reporting mess.
>>

> Kohsuke is going to be at the meetup and I plan to address the idea or
> reporting in Hudson and in Maven. There is a proliferation of duplicated
> reporting plugins and the crux of the issue is data generation versus
> document generation. Maven itself needs to move toward the production of
> data. Then anything can pick up the data and generate reports, or create
> trending information. But this whole system needs to be decoupled from
> Maven's core so really anything can be worked on independently which is what
> I'm trying to do with Vincent and the separation of the rendering engine in
> XWiki. I plan to give a presentation at the meetup on the XWiki rendering
> engine.

sounds promising, thinking I can make it to the meetings :)

Re: refactoring Was: Alignment of maven 3.0 dependencies and Eclipse IP approved libraries

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 24-Feb-09, at 5:53 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 25/02/2009, at 6:57 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>

>> We actually don't know until the round of refactoring that's going
>> to happen starting next week. Myself, Benjamin, John, Oleg, and
>> Shane will be doing the lion's share of the refactoring in the
>> project builder, plugin manager, lifecycle executor and the
>> repository system so we don't know what exactly will work as
>> expected and how that will effect changes in plexus.
>
> Are you going to post some details beforehand? I'm kind of
> interested in fixing the reporting mess.

Kohsuke is going to be at the meetup and I plan to address the idea or
reporting in Hudson and in Maven. There is a proliferation of
duplicated reporting plugins and the crux of the issue is data
generation versus document generation. Maven itself needs to move
toward the production of data. Then anything can pick up the data and
generate reports, or create trending information. But this whole
system needs to be decoupled from Maven's core so really anything can
be worked on independently which is what I'm trying to do with Vincent
and the separation of the rendering engine in XWiki. I plan to give a
presentation at the meetup on the XWiki rendering engine.

>> I'll be posting shortly about a dev meetup around EclipseCon where
>> myself, Oleg and Shane will be giving some presentations on the
>> core architecture for the primary components to try and get people
>> involved, but until then we're just going to be working full tilt
>> to make 3.x a replacement for 2.x. Until we're finished I don't
>> know what the core will look like exactly and doing any license
>> work before that would be premature.
>
> For those of us not going to be anywhere near EclipseCon, can you
> post details here first?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett
>
> --
> Brett Porter
> brett@apache.org
> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more
examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

   -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

Re: refactoring Was: Alignment of maven 3.0 dependencies and Eclipse IP approved libraries

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 24-Feb-09, at 5:53 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 25/02/2009, at 6:57 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>

>> We actually don't know until the round of refactoring that's going
>> to happen starting next week. Myself, Benjamin, John, Oleg, and
>> Shane will be doing the lion's share of the refactoring in the
>> project builder, plugin manager, lifecycle executor and the
>> repository system so we don't know what exactly will work as
>> expected and how that will effect changes in plexus.
>
> Are you going to post some details beforehand? I'm kind of
> interested in fixing the reporting mess.

Full details will be coming in a day or two. Just in the middle of
some refactoring. The reporting cannot be fixed until I finish
refactoring the plugin manager.

I plan to fully extract Doxia and create a separate execution
environment for reporting. The Doxia can be an implementation, I am
going to work on a version of reporting based on the XWiki rendering
engine. But right now the plugin manager is too much of a mess to
attempt anything. The primary refactoring the project builder, plugin
manager and lifecycle executor are still required before anything
significant can be added.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Alignment of maven 3.0 dependencies and Eclipse IP approved libraries

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 24-Feb-09, at 12:32 PM, Abel Muiño wrote:

> Thanks for the info!
>
> I guess that by "refactoring" you also imply API changes? If so...
> should we
> expect major changes from alpha-2?

Probably not many from the Embedder but the artifact resolution and
plugin manager APIs will be substantially different by the time we're
done.

> So sorry I will miss Eclipse Con. If you ever come to Europe, let me
> know
> (we couldn't meet on Eclipse Summit Europe).
>
> Being an eclipse project means doing the license work, so it is never
> premature :-) .
>

> Jason van Zyl-5 wrote:

>>> Can you provide an overview of the plans? Which dependencies are
>>> being
>>> considered for removal? Which ones might be added?
>>>

>> We actually don't know until the round of refactoring that's going to
>> happen starting next week. Myself, Benjamin, John, Oleg, and Shane
>> will be doing the lion's share of the refactoring in the project
>> builder, plugin manager, lifecycle executor and the repository system
>> so we don't know what exactly will work as expected and how that will
>> effect changes in plexus.
>>
>> I'll be posting shortly about a dev meetup around EclipseCon where
>> myself, Oleg and Shane will be giving some presentations on the core
>> architecture for the primary components to try and get people
>> involved, but until then we're just going to be working full tilt to
>> make 3.x a replacement for 2.x. Until we're finished I don't know
>> what
>> the core will look like exactly and doing any license work before
>> that
>> would be premature.
>>
>>> This would come handy for any early adopter, like it is our case.

>>> Submitting CQs is not the problem. You could save months if
>>> dependencies are
>>> already approved, since you will skip full IP review (something that
>>> takes
>>> months). And you can not release an 1.0 version at Eclipse without
>>> full
>>> review.

>>> I'm trying to propose something that works for everyone, not "you"
>>> or "me".
>>> As you probably know, the Eclipse Buckminster project is also
>>> interested, so
>>> with just settling on a few versions, maven developers can help a
>>> community
>>> of adopters.
>>>

>>> -----
>>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/amuino Abel Mui&ntilde;o Vizcaino  -
>>> http://ramblingabout.wordpress.com http://
>>> ramblingabout.wordpress.com
>>> --
>>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>

> -----
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/amuino Abel Mui&ntilde;o Vizcaino  -
> http://ramblingabout.wordpress.com http://ramblingabout.wordpress.com

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

   -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Re: Alignment of maven 3.0 dependencies and Eclipse IP approved libraries

Posted by Abel Muiño <am...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the info!

-----

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.

Posted by Abel Muiño <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 24-Feb-09, at 11:35 AM, Abel Muiño wrote:

> My intent was not asking the maven developers to open CQs (that's on
> the side
> of the eclipse committers), but to depend on versions that are already
> approved.
>
> For instance, there is a version of google collections approved
> which is
> different than the one used by the embedder.
>
> If the embedder could depend on these approved versions, it would make
> things easier later.
>
> I can track those versions down and provide patches to the specific
> components, but only if there is interest in this.

What will happen is that when we get close to a beta, many of the
dependencies will boil out, and once things are thoroughly tested
we'll have the versions we need. I have no problems making CQs for the
dependencies are needed. I don't really consider this extra work as
the dependencies we test with through the cycle will be the versions
that need to be approved. The dependencies are still going to change
quite a bit between now and the first beta. I have a tool to automate

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

  -- Thoreau

Re: Alignment of maven 3.0 dependencies and Eclipse IP approved libraries

Posted by Abel Muiño <am...@gmail.com>.

-----

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.