Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by victor <vi...@ihnetworks.com> on 2017/07/11 22:16:21 UTC

KVM hypervm and HA

Hello,

  I have a cloudstack system with one management server, one nfs server
and two kvm hypervm host servers. Initially I configured cloudstack
with hypervm1, so the system vm  and console proxy gets created in it.
Lately I have added hypervm2 and created few instances in it. So my
doubt is the following.

--------

1, If hypervm 1 is down which contain system-vm,console-proxy and
router-vm, then what will happen.

2, If hypervm 1 is down completely and we couldn't make it up, will the
system vm,console proxy and router vm will be switched to hypervm2
automatically.  If it is not automatically, then is there any option for
that.

====

Regards

Victor

Re: KVM hypervm and HA

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com.INVALID>.
So today, we aren't using any a watchdog timer on KVM, but Wido has submitted a PR to include one. What that means is that today the VM container has to fail before an HA action will be completed. If the VM just kernel panics and doesn't have it's own kernel watchdog timer, the Mgmt Server will still believe the VM is alive and well.

There is also a lot of work underway to greatly improve the KVM HA overall. A good chunk of this has already been merged around IPMI management and control of the underling host servers. There is a new proposal currently in development that will better handle host failure and force a fencing action to make sure we have no chance of data corruption. Today if a host fails and the agent goes down hard with it, VMs that were on the host will not be HA'd to another host until an operator takes an action to remove that host from ACS.

- Si

________________________________
De: "Ivan Kudryavtsev" <ku...@bw-sw.com>
Para: "victor" <vi...@ihnetworks.com>
Cc: "users" <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>
Enviadas: Quarta-feira, 12 de julho de 2017 6:55:00
Assunto: Re: KVM hypervm and HA

You should mark VM service offering as HA-enabled and ACS will start vms
automatically. VR, SSVM, CP VMs are also started automatically as needed.

--
With best regards, Ivan Kudryavtsev
Bitworks Software, Ltd.

Re: KVM hypervm and HA