Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com> on 2014/01/08 18:58:43 UTC

Avoid burdening IaaS if there is an error while activating the instances

Hi all,

Currently if an instance is not joined after a timeout, we will terminate
the instance and it will be removed from the pending state.
Then the Autoscaler will decide to spawn more instances according to the
rules, to cover terminated instances.
If there is an error which blocks sending member activate event( in the
cartridge, network or at any other place), system will be terminating and
starting instances continuously, which is an utter waste of resources.

So I suggest following scenario,

We keep a count of unactivated instances per cluster. If this count exceeds
a limit( say 3 - should be configurable), we will increase waiting time on
the next instance activation.  May be we keep increasing.
We can reset the count when ever a member activation  received.

Wdyt?

Thanks.

Sent from my mobile.

Re: Avoid burdening IaaS if there is an error while activating the instances

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Again the same issue right? We keep starting and terminating instances
> (it's just an increase of time).

Yes, even that saves a lot of stuff :)

Also absolute +1 for alerting. We can use already existing CEP to alert.

If we have the alerting system, actually we can STOP keep starting and
termination thing and wait until sys admin to fix it. Then he let the
system know that things are normal.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Nirmal,

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
The other concern is what would a user do upon an alert? Is that of a
user's control? May be asking to send a mail to system admins? IMO this is
some issue with the stratos and may be what should we do is to alert the
system admins (dev-ops etc.).

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards,