Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Chris Knight <Ch...@nasa.gov> on 2003/09/02 20:14:16 UTC

Re: Spam Using SMTP "Over" HTTP-Proxy

Joshua Slive wrote:

>I think we've done pretty-much all we can.  I wouldn't mind putting a
>little note on the httpd.apache.org homepage saying "Have you secured your
>proxy?" and point to the correct docs.

What about sending a warning message to stderr/error_log upon startup if
the proxy is not access controlled?

...HTTPS proxying is even worse and could be used to mount a variety of
TCP attacks.

RE: Spam Using SMTP "Over" HTTP-Proxy

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>.
At 02:41 PM 9/4/2003, Joshua Slive wrote:

>> Seriously, we could add a default deny for outgoing port
>> 25 (smtp) and 6660-6670 (irc) proxied connections.
>> This won't really hurt anyone as I don't see any reasons
>> why anybody would want that. A special "AllowProxyPorts 25 6660-6670"
>> directive could then turn those ports open too.
>> We could even try to limit it to defaultly allowing only
>> the proxying of port 80 and 443 and denying the rest for instance.
>
>Bill Wrowe is a fan of the last idea.  I'm neutral about making it the
>default, but I think it would be good to make it configurable.
>
>You should be specific here, however.  We are talking about a directive
>that would allow *outgoing* proxy connections only on specific ports.  For
>example
>AllowForwardProxy 80 8080 8888

I'm thinking even a patternmatch might not be a bad idea, just crufty as
all can be...

AllowForwardProxy *80

Food for thought.

Bill

RE: Spam Using SMTP "Over" HTTP-Proxy

Posted by Jeroen Massar <je...@unfix.org>.

RE: Spam Using SMTP "Over" HTTP-Proxy

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Requiring a "IKnowIAmOperatingAOpenProxy" flag that needs to
> be set explicitly would be a better idea then :)

That's what the ProxyRequests directive does.  Giving it a silly name
isn't going to help ;-)

> Seriously, we could add a default deny for outgoing port
> 25 (smtp) and 6660-6670 (irc) proxied connections.
> This won't really hurt anyone as I don't see any reasons
> why anybody would want that. A special "AllowProxyPorts 25 6660-6670"
> directive could then turn those ports open too.
> We could even try to limit it to defaultly allowing only
> the proxying of port 80 and 443 and denying the rest for instance.

Bill Wrowe is a fan of the last idea.  I'm neutral about making it the
default, but I think it would be good to make it configurable.

You should be specific here, however.  We are talking about a directive
that would allow *outgoing* proxy connections only on specific ports.  For
example
AllowForwardProxy 80 8080 8888

Joshua.

RE: Spam Using SMTP "Over" HTTP-Proxy

Posted by Jeroen Massar <je...@unfix.org>.

Re: Spam Using SMTP "Over" HTTP-Proxy

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Chris Knight wrote:

> Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> >I think we've done pretty-much all we can.  I wouldn't mind putting a
> >little note on the httpd.apache.org homepage saying "Have you secured your
> >proxy?" and point to the correct docs.
> >

> What about sending a warning message to stderr/error_log upon startup if
> the proxy is not access controlled?

I don't think that is feasible.  There are MANY ways to do access control
in apache.

Sending a message along the lines of "Your server is configured to proxy
requests to arbitrary servers." whenever ProxyRequests is On would be a
possibility.

> ...HTTPS proxying is even worse and could be used to mount a variety of
> TCP attacks.

The AllowConnect directive restricts that.

Joshua.