Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2006/12/28 22:29:08 UTC

[vote] Release geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec

Fixed, verified to be compliant and ready for release.

  Release Branch: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/
branches/geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec/
  Built Binaries: http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/stage-specs/org/
apache/geronimo/specs/geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec/1.0/

I hereby propose we release this branch and it's binaries as final.

Here's my +1

-David

Re: [vote] Release geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1

-dain

[result] Release geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Vote passes with 6 +1s (5 binding) and no other votes.

-David

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
+1

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.jaceklaskowski.pl

Re: [vote] Release geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
+1

Regards,
Alan

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jan 3, 2007, at 3:12 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> +1 ... sorry for the delay.

Already counted you with your "I'm ok with the vote proceeding as
is...+1" comment.

-David

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
+1 ... sorry for the delay.

On Jan 3, 2007, at 2:28 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> We have 6 +1 votes, but it'd be really nice to have more.  Please
> vote! :)
>
> Going to close this out tomorrow.
>
> -David
>
> On Dec 28, 2006, at 1:29 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
>> Fixed, verified to be compliant and ready for release.
>>
>>  Release Branch: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/
>> branches/geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec/
>>  Built Binaries: http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/stage-specs/
>> org/apache/geronimo/specs/geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec/1.0/
>>
>> I hereby propose we release this branch and it's binaries as final.
>>
>> Here's my +1
>>
>> -David

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: [vote] Release geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Dec 31, 2006, at 7:54 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>

>> David is out of town but I think I can answer.... The previous
>> release was only a milestone.  These are final 1.0 jars that have
>> been verified using the JEE 5 signature tests.  If you want to
>> know what has changed just run svn diff:
>
> Right, but I didn't ask a question. I stated that we ought to be
> identifying this information in the vote (or a previous discussion
> thread). All it takes is -- "Testing of the EJB3 spec has
> identified signature problems in the existing 1.0-M1 release of the
> spec. I've fixed these problems and updated the version numbers of
> the specs that EJB3 is dependent on. I propose we release a final
> 1.0 version of EJB3." This way all voters (and non-voters) understand.

Even if there weren't a change to the code, we still need to release
final versions, as the M1 versions are just a Milestone on the path
to a full final release.

> For the record -- I'm +1 for a release. Due to the finger check in
> the original vote, I'd suggest that a new vote be called, but admit
> that may be going a bit overboard...

I think that is overboard.

-dain

Re: [vote] Release geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jan 2, 2007, at 3:21 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2007, at 5:19 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
>> Hey All, back and catching up.
>>
>> As I mentioned in the first specs vote that I proposed "I've done
>> the work to fix some of our spec jars so they are compliant and
>> would like us to start releasing them and removing snapshot
>> references from our builds."  I've since started abbreviating that
>> to "Fixed, verified to be compliant and ready for release" as the
>> changes the changes are pretty much N iterations of added/removed/
>> updated a (or many) constructor/method/annotation.
>>
>> Anyway, I was half inclined to put links to the related commits in
>> the vote threads as the diffs are the only real way to describe
>> several API tweaks, but just didn't pull the trigger on that
>> idea.  Wish I had.
>>
>> Here's that info now:
>>
>> Changes to Annotations 1.0
>>    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=489255
>>
>> Changes to EJB 3.0
>>    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=489258
>>
>> Changes to EJB 3.0 Persistence (JPA)
>>    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=489260
>>
>> EJB 3.0 Interceptors and JTA 1.1 were fine hence the description
>> of "Verified and compliant and ready for release" in their release
>> threads.  I haven't yet had the chance to verify any other specs
>> for compliance.
>
> The jacc-1.1 spec has a significant amount of functionality in the
> permission classes so it needs more than just signature
> verification before we release it.

Definitely.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jan 2, 2007, at 5:19 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> Hey All, back and catching up.
>
> As I mentioned in the first specs vote that I proposed "I've done
> the work to fix some of our spec jars so they are compliant and
> would like us to start releasing them and removing snapshot
> references from our builds."  I've since started abbreviating that
> to "Fixed, verified to be compliant and ready for release" as the
> changes the changes are pretty much N iterations of added/removed/
> updated a (or many) constructor/method/annotation.
>
> Anyway, I was half inclined to put links to the related commits in
> the vote threads as the diffs are the only real way to describe
> several API tweaks, but just didn't pull the trigger on that idea.
> Wish I had.
>
> Here's that info now:
>
> Changes to Annotations 1.0
>    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=489255
>
> Changes to EJB 3.0
>    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=489258
>
> Changes to EJB 3.0 Persistence (JPA)
>    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=489260
>
> EJB 3.0 Interceptors and JTA 1.1 were fine hence the description of
> "Verified and compliant and ready for release" in their release
> threads.  I haven't yet had the chance to verify any other specs
> for compliance.

The jacc-1.1 spec has a significant amount of functionality in the
permission classes so it needs more than just signature verification
before we release it.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
> I don't think we ever done that before because because up til now
> everyone has just known what's changed.  For this spec he did say
> "Fixed, verified to be compliant and ready for release." which
> based on the diff sadly does describe what has changed for this
> release :)  Anyway, if this is another requirement for a Geronimo
> release, I'm sure David will add it to the remaining specs he is
> releasing.

I agree that we don't want to get pedantic on the releases; that will
just make life more difficult.  I think there is a balance between
"Release this" and "I updated this that and the other thing and would
like to get these out."  We need to operate from a position of trust
and respect.  I think that we'll see both of these be executed with a
short statement and an ok from the community.

> BTW, David was out of town for the holiday weekend and I think he
> will be back tomorrow of the next day.
>
> Happy New Year,

And here we go... :)

> -dain

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: [vote] Release geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
On Dec 31, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>

>> David is out of town but I think I can answer.... The previous
>> release was only a milestone.  These are final 1.0 jars that have
>> been verified using the JEE 5 signature tests.  If you want to
>> know what has changed just run svn diff:
>
> Right, but I didn't ask a question. I stated that we ought to be
> identifying this information in the vote (or a previous discussion
> thread). All it takes is -- "Testing of the EJB3 spec has
> identified signature problems in the existing 1.0-M1 release of the
> spec. I've fixed these problems and updated the version numbers of
> the specs that EJB3 is dependent on. I propose we release a final
> 1.0 version of EJB3." This way all voters (and non-voters) understand.

I agree that the person proposing the vote should provide some
information about what the changes are.  It seems a little
unreasonable to rely on an svn diff to document the changes.

> For the record -- I'm +1 for a release. Due to the finger check in
> the original vote, I'd suggest that a new vote be called, but admit
> that may be going a bit overboard...

I'm ok with the vote proceeding as is...+1

> --kevan

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: [vote] Release geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Dec 30, 2006, at 7:36 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2006, at 4:29 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
>> Fixed, verified to be compliant and ready for release.
>>
>>  Release Branch: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/
>> branches/geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec/
>>  Built Binaries: http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/stage-specs/
>> org/apache/geronimo/specs/geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec/1.0/
>>
>> I hereby propose we release this branch and it's binaries as final.
>>
>> Here's my +1
>>
>> -David
>>

> Well, the above pointer to the release branch is bad. I assume it
> should be https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/branches/
> geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec-1.0/
>
> David,
> I think these votes should provide a bit of background on how they
> differ from previously release versions/why they need to be released.

David is out of town but I think I can answer.... The previous
release was only a milestone.  These are final 1.0 jars that have
been verified using the JEE 5 signature tests.  If you want to know
what has changed just run svn diff:

svn diff \
  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/tags/geronimo-
ejb_3.0_spec-1.0-M1 \
  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-
ejb_3.0_spec

-dain

Re: [vote] Release geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 28, 2006, at 4:29 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> Fixed, verified to be compliant and ready for release.
>
>  Release Branch: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/
> branches/geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec/
>  Built Binaries: http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/stage-specs/org/
> apache/geronimo/specs/geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec/1.0/
>
> I hereby propose we release this branch and it's binaries as final.
>
> Here's my +1
>
> -David

Well, the above pointer to the release branch is bad. I assume it
should be https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/branches/
geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec-1.0/

David,
I think these votes should provide a bit of background on how they
differ from previously release versions/why they need to be released.
Or, prefereably, that  should be covered in a Discuss thread,
preceding a vote.

If the vote was called on https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/
specs/branches/geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec-1.0/, I'd be +1.

--kevan