Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Melanie <me...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/14 23:47:04 UTC

Question on Linux Tomcat Apache Server and Port Redirection for a robotics site

RE: Question on Linux Tomcat Apache Server and Port Redirection for a robotics site

Posted by Todd Hicks <el...@hotmail.com>.
Melanie,
Try a precompiled binary: http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/linux/jk-1.2.28/

Posted by Melanie <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Hicks <el...@hotmail.com>.
That's why I suggested mod_jk.

Posted by Melanie <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Melanie <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The version of Tomcat is 5.5.

As far as the other question on what is my current port 80 web server is? I
don't understand the question exactly.

It is a virtual dedicated server.

-Melanie

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Melanie <me...@gmail.com>.
The site is now up using the fix ProxyPass and ProxyRedirect. For now, I am
happy with this solution. Maybe in long term though, I'm curious though what
advantages are for using mod_jk versus ProxyPass and ProxyRedirect?

-Melanie

Posted by Cyrille Le Clerc <cl...@apache.org>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Cyrille Le Clerc <cl...@apache.org>.
   Hello Melanie,

   I share André's vision :

#1 To get the root context http://www.robotronics.org/ forwarded to
Tomcat, the easiest way is to declare your java application as the
root context of your Tomcat (either naming it ROOT.war or declaring it
with path="" in server.xml according to your deployment method).

#1.1 If you cannot rename your tomcat app to serve Tomcat's root
context, look at context rewriting ; it would look like :

ProxyPass / http://my-tomcat:9080/Robotronics
ProxyPassReverse /Robotronics http://www.robotronics.org/

#2 You can mix the approach #1 to serve most of the
http://www.robotronics.org/ content including the root context with
Tomcat with serving sub parts of the web site directly from Apache
Httpd or from other servers.

ProxyPreserveHost On
ProxyPass /handle/in/httpd/rather/than/in/tomcat !
ProxyPass / http://my-tomcat:9080/

#3 Some people are afraid about performance cost of serving static
content from Tomcat rather than from Apache Httpd. For such problems,
I feel the solution resides more in the usage of standard HTTP caching
header Expires and Cache-Control combined with mod_expires and
mod_disk_cache rather than in copying static resources on Apache
Httpd.

#4 I slightly disagree with André on asking Tomcat to listen on port
80 ; I am very reluctant to this approach as it requires to run the
JVM as root ; I prefer the iptables approach (well described in the in
the rimuhosting doc you referred - 1).

Hope this helps,

Cyrille

1) http://rimuhosting.com/mod_jk2_and_mod_proxy_ajp.jsp#iptables
--
cleclerc@xebia.fr
http://blog.xebia.fr

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Melanie [mailto:melanie.vida@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Question on Linux Tomcat Apache Server and Port
> Redirection for a robotics site
>
> Do you know the way to bring up the actual J2EE webpage instead of the
> Tomcat Startup Page when the URL
> http://www.robotronics.org is served by Apache and Tomcat?

If you want the springapp to be the default webapp, delete (or rename) the Tomcat-supplied webapps/ROOT directory, and change the J2EE application directory to webapps/ROOT (case sensitive).  There are alternative means of doing this, but the above is the simplest.

BTW, if everything is being passed through to Tomcat, you can simply eliminate httpd, and run Tomcat on port 80.  However, your previous description indicated that you had some existing HTML being served by httpd, and if you want to keep that, you'll need to modify the ProxyPass setting to not pass those requests to Tomcat.

 - Chuck

Re: Question on Linux Tomcat Apache Server and Port Redirection for a robotics site

Posted by Melanie <me...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Cyrille for the information. This looks like it's a quick fix but
there is still another issue.

The Tomcat Startup Page is now being served, but not the actual springapp
J2EE web application that is located in the Tomcat directory --->
/usr/java/tomcat-5.5/webapps/springapp

Do you know the way to bring up the actual J2EE webpage instead of the
Tomcat Startup Page when the URL
http://www.robotronics.org is served by Apache and Tomcat?

No, I'm not French. The Google translations is rough.

Thank you,

-Melanie

Posted by Cyrille Le Clerc <cl...@apache.org>.
Hello Melanie,