Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Cesar D. Rodas" <sa...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/20 21:31:32 UTC

Proposal - Question

Hello to all,

My name is César Rodas, from Paraguay, I'm newbie in this mail list, so my
question may be recursive and quite stupid with a simple answer, so I ask
apologizes.

I have a project, which I haven't start  coding yet but I will start ASAP.
Basically it will be a Text Categorizer (Apache TextCat is a good name,
right?), that will be topics and language independent, that will learn by
examples.

I was thinking to build it in C using APR, and I planning to build it very
modular, and really easy to extend. You may be wondering why C instead of
Java, and the answer is quite simple, I want the project run faster, and
that it can embedded, and wrapped from other languages, PHP, Python, Perl,
Java, etc. This is only my opinion.

Further technicals details will be explained into my proposal.

My question is, do I need to have something working to propose the project
to the Apache Incubator?, or I can propose a project that I'm planning to
code?

Also, will be great if the folk can say what you think about this project?,
Will it be useful?

Kind Regards,

P.D: As you can see,I can't write a perfect English, since I'm not a native
English speaker.
--
Cesar D. Rodas
http://cesar.la/

Re: Proposal - Question

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Hi César,

Apache already hosts a couple of text related projects where your
proposal might fit in.  Mahout is a project for machine learning
on Hadoop, and I think they already have text categorization.
Another text related project is UIMA, which could also use a text
categorizer.  Not sure if Lucene also has a text categorizer, but
I'm sure they could use one.

I'd encourage you to check out these projects and see if you want to
contribute to one of them.  You may find that a text
categorizer is somewhat small in scope to be an Apache project of
its own, what with the necessary community building etc.

--Thilo