Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr> on 2008/12/04 08:30:11 UTC

Re: JMX UI for felix shell service

Hi Barrend

I have developed 2 JConsole/VisualVM plugins to acces to the Felix shell
and to manage the framework.
You can found some in the MOSGi subproject
http://felix.apache.org/site/mosgi-managed-osgi-framework.html
Mime exploit the last JMX features of the JRE 1.6.0_10 (and more)

You can found snapshots here
http://membres-liglab.imag.fr/donsez/dev/osgi/jconsole.osgi/jconsole.shell.png
http://membres-liglab.imag.fr/donsez/dev/osgi/jconsole.osgi/jconsole.felixshell.htm
http://membres-liglab.imag.fr/donsez/dev/osgi/jconsole.osgi/glassfishv3-vsvm.png

But I have a license issue to solve for the plugin part: the
JConsolePlugin API is "GPL Classpath Exception" (like the OpenJDK and
Glassfish) and I don't know if it is compatible with the ASL2.
I have discussed of that with Rick yesterday ;-)

Stephane Frenot who leads the JMX-related subproject (MOSGi) in the
Felix project could coordinate MBeans and GUI components contributions

Best regards

Didier

W.B. Garvelink wrote:

>Hi,
>

>I've created a JMX UI for the felix-shell service. It registers a
>ServiceTracker for Commands and (un)publishes them as StandardMBeans
>(requires Java5) as they come and go.
>
>Here are a couple of snapshots of JConsole with this plugin active in
>a Felix-1.4.0 instance.
>
>http://fnord.nl/misc/1_opsprops.jpg
>http://fnord.nl/misc/2_result.jpg
>
>If you're interested, I'd like to offer it to the Felix project as a
>contribution. It's small, documented and JUnit tests are present.
>

>Regards,
>Barend

Didier DONSEZ

Laboratoire LIG, Equipe ADELE
Universite Joseph Fourier
Bat. C, 220 rue de la Chimie, Domaine Universitaire
BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Tel : +33 4 76 63 55 49           Fax : +33 4 76 63 55 50
GPS : lat 45°11'38.3"N, lon 05°46'14.7"E, alt 223m

mailto:Didier.Donsez@imag.fr
Map:http://membres-liglab.imag.fr/donsez/map/map.html

Re: JMX UI for felix shell service

Posted by Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr>.
W.B. Garvelink wrote:

>Hi Didier,
>

>Thanks for the links. Your work is much more comprehensive. Shell
>approach is better too, being a shell and all :-). The bundle I wrote
>is much smaller in scope,  it's a simple drop-in that requires (or
>supports) no configuration.

my ShellMBean is also very simple
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/felix/sandbox/donsez/mbean.shell/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/sandbox/mbean/shell/ShellMBean.java?revision=672677&view=markup
only one operation
outputs (err and out) are send to the JConsole by notifications (you
need to subscribe).

The bundles are here
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/felix/sandbox/donsez/mbean.shell
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/felix/sandbox/donsez/mbean.shell.felix/

I have developed also one for equinox (and started one for KF) ! but
there is (may be) some license issue with the EPL

Note that the RFC 0132 (R4.2 draft) proposes a uniform shell API for
OSGi platform

Didier

Posted by Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr>.

Posted by "W.B. Garvelink" <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Didier,

Thanks for the links. Your work is much more comprehensive. Shell
approach is better too, being a shell and all :-). The bundle I wrote
is much smaller in scope,  it's a simple drop-in that requires (or
supports) no configuration. I think it might be useful as a quick

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Didier,

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr> wrote:
> ...I have a license issue to solve for the plugin part: the JConsolePlugin
> API is "GPL Classpath Exception" (like the OpenJDK and Glassfish) and I
> don't know if it is compatible with the ASL2....

FYI, the place to ask would be legal-discuss@apache.org, and/or create
an issue at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL. When
resolved, such cases are added to the list of resolved license issues
at http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

HTH,
-Bertrand