Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "N. Sean Timm" <st...@mailgo.com> on 2000/06/19 07:21:55 UTC

WML Content - Help!

So I finally got a cellphone (a Mitsubishi T250), and it utilizes
phone.com's UP.Browser 3.1 which support WML 1.1 content.  Cool...I surf
around a bit before deciding it's time to get down to some real work...ie.
get some content spewing to it from Cocoon.  Naturally, it must work in
Cocoon 2, so I grab the WML example from the Cocoon 1 distribution, add an
entry to my sitemap, start up the server, and try to hit it.  After getting
past the content-type invalid error, I finally got to a point where I am
stuck without fixing something in either Xalan or Cocoon 2 (I believe).  The
UP.Browser 3.1 wants a <!DOCTYPE>.  Unfortunately, Cocoon only wants to give
me a &lt;!DOCTYPE.  My phone does not like this.  After searching the
archives, I discoverd that disable-output-escaping doesn't work with Cocoon,
and apparently Xalan doesn't support xsl:output (which seems like a cleaner
way to kick out the DOCTYPE, anyway).

So what should I do?  Is there any way to get this working without changing
code?  I'm browsing around through Cocoon 2's source right now to determine
how I could make this work, and I'm seriously considering looking into Xalan
to see how xsl:output could be added.  However, it would be really cool if I
could get this content kicking out before I go to work tomorrow...

Any help would be appreciated!  (I'll be up most of the night rummaging
through code, otherwise...)

- Sean T.

Re: WML Content - Help!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
"N. Sean Timm" wrote:

> I said (this is getting to be a pattern :) ):
> > appears to strip the resulting DOCTYPE, so if I'm going to change some
> code,
> > it looks like it better happen in Cocoon...
>
> Alright, I went the cheesy way instead of figuring out how to do it right,
> so I can play with WML.  I modified the XMLSerializer to check which
> contentType was passed in.  If it was "text/vnd.wap.wml", I sent the proper
> DOCTYPE for WML.  Other than that, I left everything else the same.
> Obviously, this isn't how we would want to handle this, so has anyone
> thought any about how this will be supported?  Should the DOCTYPE be
> specified as parameters to the serializer?  Of course, it still seems like
> disable-output-escaping should be made to work...

TRaX implements all the serializers we need and once se get that Xalan
2.0.0 tree we can remove our C2 serializers and use their which are much
better and, ASAIK, implement "disable-output-escaping"... well, if not,
I agree we must have it, but TRaX should provide these, not Cocoon.

Scott, what's you status?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: WML Content - Help!

Posted by "N. Sean Timm" <st...@mailgo.com>.
I said (this is getting to be a pattern :) ):
> appears to strip the resulting DOCTYPE, so if I'm going to change some
code,
> it looks like it better happen in Cocoon...

Alright, I went the cheesy way instead of figuring out how to do it right,
so I can play with WML.  I modified the XMLSerializer to check which
contentType was passed in.  If it was "text/vnd.wap.wml", I sent the proper
DOCTYPE for WML.  Other than that, I left everything else the same.
Obviously, this isn't how we would want to handle this, so has anyone
thought any about how this will be supported?  Should the DOCTYPE be
specified as parameters to the serializer?  Of course, it still seems like
disable-output-escaping should be made to work...

Anyway, time to play with WML!

- Sean T.

Re: WML Content - Help!

Posted by "N. Sean Timm" <st...@mailgo.com>.
I said:
> and apparently Xalan doesn't support xsl:output (which seems like a
cleaner
> way to kick out the DOCTYPE, anyway).

Nevermind...I'm an idiot.  Xalan *does* support xsl:output, but Cocoon