Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2005/06/06 14:22:14 UTC

[Vote] Reduce dependencies to LogKit

We recently discussed the famous logging topic [1] and it seems
that we agree to reduce the dependencies to LogKit.

So, please cast your votes on the following:

We remove all direct dependencies to LogKit. The logging will still use
the LoggerManager interface through which LogKit can be
configured as the logging system for Cocoon. The logging infrastructure
(LogEnabled) is not affected by the changes; it works like before.
The only difference is the boot phase of Cocoon. We currently use
LogKit hardcoded there as well; this dependency will be removed. This
allows to run Cocoon without the logkit.jar.

In a second vote we will vote about the default logging system.

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: [Vote] Reduce dependencies to LogKit

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>We recently discussed the famous logging topic [1] and it seems
>that we agree to reduce the dependencies to LogKit.
>
>So, please cast your votes on the following:
>
>We remove all direct dependencies to LogKit. The logging will still use
>the LoggerManager interface through which LogKit can be
>configured as the logging system for Cocoon. The logging infrastructure
>(LogEnabled) is not affected by the changes; it works like before.
>The only difference is the boot phase of Cocoon. We currently use
>LogKit hardcoded there as well; this dependency will be removed. This
>allows to run Cocoon without the logkit.jar.

+1

Sylvain

Re: [Vote] Reduce dependencies to LogKit

Posted by Geert Josten <Ge...@daidalos.nl>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>We recently discussed the famous logging topic [1] and it seems
>that we agree to reduce the dependencies to LogKit.
>
>So, please cast your votes on the following:
>
>We remove all direct dependencies to LogKit. The logging will still use
>the LoggerManager interface through which LogKit can be
>configured as the logging system for Cocoon. The logging infrastructure
>(LogEnabled) is not affected by the changes; it works like before.
>The only difference is the boot phase of Cocoon. We currently use
>LogKit hardcoded there as well; this dependency will be removed. This
>allows to run Cocoon without the logkit.jar.
>
>In a second vote we will vote about the default logging system.
>
>Carsten
>
>[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111749200600001&r=1&w=2

+1

Ralph

Re: JDTCore.jar used for XSP only?

Posted by Geert Josten <Ge...@daidalos.nl>.
I have the source distribution of Cocoon 2.1.6 and have only switched on the blocks 'batik', 'fop'
and 'paranoid', but I _am_ getting jdtcore.jar?

Can anyone tell whether it is really necessary? I have to run Cocoon with the Paranoid class loader
to prevent Cocoon from using the Oracle XML Parser provided by the Oracle Application Server and I'd
like to keep the Web-inf/lib/ as tiny as possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Geert

--
=====================================
NB: het Daidalos kantoor is sinds 22 april

Daidalos BV
Hoekeindsehof 1 - 4
2665 JZ Bleiswijk
tel: +31 (0)10 850 12 00
fax: +31 (0)10 850 11 99

Bovenstaand adres is tevens het postadres.
======================
Geert.Josten@Daidalos.nl
IT-consultant at Daidalos BV

http://www.daidalos.nl/

GPG: 1024D/12DEBB50

Re: JDTCore.jar used for XSP only?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> i meant javascript flow :-)

that's interesting ...did not know that

>>> And sitemap in 2.2 should be using it as well...
>>

>> the sitemap? whatfor?
>

> supposedly it can recompile stuff

we don't have auto compiling at that
stage yet ...only auto reloading when
your favorite ide did the external
recompile of the classes.

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: JDTCore.jar used for XSP only?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>>it's also required for javaflow auto compilation
>>>...but that should be it
>>

>>Isn't flow in 2.1 uses it?
>

> yes, that's what I meant ;)

i meant javascript flow :-)

>>And sitemap in 2.2 should be using it as well...
>
> the sitemap? whatfor?

supposedly it can recompile stuff

Vadim

Re: JDTCore.jar used for XSP only?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>> In trunk jdtcore.jar is only added if you enable the XSP block. Don't
>>> know what BRANCH_2_1_X does.
>>

>> it's also required for javaflow auto compilation
>> ...but that should be it
>

> Isn't flow in 2.1 uses it?

yes, that's what I meant ;)

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:
>>>Is jdtcore.jar only used for compiling Java for XSP pages? I'm not
>>>using XSP currently, so I am
>>>wondering if I can just eliminate that jar file. It doesn't seem to
>>>affect Cocoon. Can anyone confirm?
>>

>>In trunk jdtcore.jar is only added if you enable the XSP block. Don't
>>know what BRANCH_2_1_X does.
>

> it's also required for javaflow auto compilation
> ...but that should be it

Isn't flow in 2.1 uses it? And sitemap in 2.2 should be using it as well...

Vadim

Re: JDTCore.jar used for XSP only?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

JDTCore.jar used for XSP only?

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
On Lun, 6 de Junio de 2005, 7:22, Carsten Ziegeler dijo:
> We remove all direct dependencies to LogKit. The logging will still use
> the LoggerManager interface through which LogKit can be
> configured as the logging system for Cocoon. The logging infrastructure
> (LogEnabled) is not affected by the changes; it works like before.
> The only difference is the boot phase of Cocoon. We currently use
> LogKit hardcoded there as well; this dependency will be removed. This
> allows to run Cocoon without the logkit.jar.

+1

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [Vote] Reduce dependencies to LogKit

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> We remove all direct dependencies to LogKit.

+1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [Vote] Reduce dependencies to LogKit

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 06/giu/05, alle 14:22, Carsten Ziegeler ha scritto:

> We remove all direct dependencies to LogKit. The logging will still use
> the LoggerManager interface through which LogKit can be
> configured as the logging system for Cocoon. The logging infrastructure
> (LogEnabled) is not affected by the changes; it works like before.
> The only difference is the boot phase of Cocoon. We currently use
> LogKit hardcoded there as well; this dependency will be removed. This
> allows to run Cocoon without the logkit.jar.

+1

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei
Tech Blog: http://agylen.com/

Re: [Vote] Reduce dependencies to LogKit

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 6 juin 05, à 14:22, Carsten Ziegeler a écrit :

> ...We remove all direct dependencies to LogKit..

+1

-Bertrand

Re: Default logging system

Posted by Geert Josten <Ge...@daidalos.nl>.
> I guess you configured the Log4JLoggerManager in web.xml? What happened
> then?
>
> Carsten

To be honest: with the current settings nothing is being logged.. (nothing from Cocoon at least) :-P

I tried several things, but nothing with the result I was looking for.

Currently I have the following settings:

* force-property on org.apache.commons.logging.Log _disabled_
* logkit-config pointing to Web-inf/logkit.xconf
* servlet-logger set to 'access'
* cocoon-logger set to 'core'
* log-level set to 'WARN'
* logger-class set to 'org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.Log4JLoggerManager'
* log4j-config not set

Changing log4j-config gives logging only if I specify a physical file in the log4j.xconf. But the
problem is that in the Oracle Application Server the context is not file system but the war itself
and references to web-inf/logs/log4j.log are not possible there. Besides, we would like to just get
the messages in the log of the application server, no matter how it is configured.

So I would guess that logkit-config (which is necessary I believe) and log4j-config should not be
necessary at all and the logger-class should be recieved from the application server, perhaps as a
system-property?

Now I don't know what happens when no logging is explicitly set in the Application server, or what
if there is no application server (running Cocoon standalone for instance), but isn't there a
logging class distributed with java?

Cheers,
Geert

Re: Default logging system

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Re: Default logging system (was: Vote on Reduce dependencies to LogKit)

Posted by Geert Josten <Ge...@daidalos.nl>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
So far we have many +1s and no -1, so I will reduce the dependencies in
the next days.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
peter royal wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2005, at 9:29 AM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>>> The only difference is the boot phase of Cocoon. We currently use
>>> LogKit hardcoded there as well; this dependency will be removed. This
>>> allows to run Cocoon without the logkit.jar.
>>>

>> Assuming "boot phase" uses servlet context logger; +1
>

> +1

+1

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [Vote] Reduce dependencies to LogKit

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Jun 6, 2005, at 9:29 AM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>> The only difference is the boot phase of Cocoon. We currently use
>> LogKit hardcoded there as well; this dependency will be removed. This
>> allows to run Cocoon without the logkit.jar.
>>

> Assuming "boot phase" uses servlet context logger; +1

+1
-pete

Re: [Vote] Reduce dependencies to LogKit

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Assuming "boot phase" uses servlet context logger;

Yes (in the case of the servlet env).

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.