Posted to users@maven.apache.org by shinsato <ha...@shinsato.com> on 2006/09/30 05:23:10 UTC

Re: M2 release plugin snapshot version does not handle new development d

Did you find a solution?  I'm noticing the same problem.

The POM version is changed from 1.0.0.1-SNAPSHOT to 1.0.0.1 for the release,
and then up to 1.0.0.2-SNAPSHOT for the next development.

But the internal project dependencies are not changed from 1.0.0.1 to
1.0.0.2-SNAPSHOT.  It seems like a definite bug, unless I'm missing
something in the way that the POM was supposed to be written.

        Harold

Posted by shinsato <ha...@shinsato.com>.
I don't understand the logic here.  I'm not releasing independent projects.
I'm releasing a multi-module project.  All the modules are renamed from
snapshot to release and then back to snapshot again.  But suddenly the
multi-module project, after the release is completed, is no longer building
cohesive artifacts.

I just don't see a useful use-case where someone would actually want their
multi-module project (which almost certainly will have modules that are
depending on each other) to require a manual and potentially error prone
conversion.  The only valid scenario I see for a multi-module project is for
the submodule interdependencies to be kept in step with each other, and that
not doing so in fact does break things, as opposed to the reverse.

Am I missing a useful use-case scenario here?  It sounds like the
${pom.version} might be a solution.  When I ran the archetype creation for
subprojects, I actually wondered why it didn't make it possible to set the
version only in the parent pom, so all sub-projects inherit the parent
version number.

    - Harold

Hi,

This is not a bug - the release plugin just updates the module you're
releasing.

Dependencies should be updated manually, since changing versions might break
things.

What you could do though is specify ${pom.version} for the <version> in your
dependencies.

-- Kenney

Re: M2 release plugin snapshot version does not handle new development d

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.
Hi,