Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com> on 2010/07/05 20:36:28 UTC

Re: OSGi support for 2.10.0

Hi Holger,

"Holger Hoffstaette" <ho...@googlemail.com> wrote on
06/10/2010 11:09:07 PM:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:20:23 -0400, Michael Glavassevich wrote:
>
> >> Well there really are several different aspects to the problem,
> >> unfortunately some caused by the completely broken-by-design JAXP
> >> mechanism ...
> >
> > It has its problems but it is the standard and would need a new
revision
> > of the specification to improve it if that's even possible at this
point.
> > Any change / enhancement would have to be backwards compatible with the
> > current JAXP spec. Then there's all the other APIs (e.g. StAX, JAXB,
>
> That much is clear, and I wouldn't expect otherwise (I'm familiar with
the
> whole drama). That being said..
>
> >> The patch I have so far addresses exactly one use case. I'll file a
JIRA
> >> tomorrow.
>
> ..I'll now have to put my foot in my mouth :P
>
> As proof that parsing actually works I just spent a few hours writing a
> nifty little interactive showcase (based on the new OSGi shell commands)
> that dynamically finds/uses/switches between any found
> DOMBuilderFactories, and only had it "working" because of a silly bug.
> Turns out that after fixing that it happily explodes because
> DeferredDocumentImpl pulls in ElementTraversal - which doesn't exist in
> the JDK - and it's all downhill from there. I thought I'd get by without
> the new SAX/DOM APIs but apparently not..at least that explains the
> somewhat weird dependencies in SpringSource's xml-commons bundle.
>
> I guess I'll file the JIRA anyway and attach what I have so far,
including
> the example and some problem descriptions. Seems like it really has to be
> addressed in xml-commons first. "any help appreciated" :)

I'm not familiar with the issue. What would need to be done in xml-commons
and why?

> Holger

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: OSGi support for 2.10.0

Posted by Holger Hoffstaette <ho...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 14:36:28 -0400, Michael Glavassevich wrote:

> "Holger Hoffstaette" <ho...@googlemail.com> wrote on
> 06/10/2010 11:09:07 PM:
>> Turns out that after fixing that it happily explodes because
>> DeferredDocumentImpl pulls in ElementTraversal - which doesn't exist in
>> the JDK - and it's all downhill from there. I thought I'd get by without
>> the new SAX/DOM APIs but apparently not..at least that explains the
>> somewhat weird dependencies in SpringSource's xml-commons bundle.
>
> I'm not familiar with the issue. What would need to be done in xml-commons
> and why?

I (probably) "only" would have needed to bundle xml-commons with a proper
version and then import them as well, so that xerces does not see
the JDK interfaces. However that seems fraught with problems because of
the existing class loading, JAXP activation etc. in xml-apis.

Other than that..the entire trifecta of xml-apis/xerces/xalan
and their cross-dependencies is hopeless in their current state. Coupling
JAXP activation and SAX/DOM interfaces, xalan depending on internal xerces
classes.. I pretty much lost interest after checking out all three
projects and getting them into eclipse.

-h