Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/23 00:35:26 UTC

[Lucene.Net] [VOTE] Release Apache Lucene.Net 2.9.2-incubating-RC1

All,

I'm happy to announce that Lucene.Net 2.9.2-incubating-RC1 is
available and ready for your testing and voting.

Release candidate artifacts:

http://people.apache.org/~thoward/Lucene.Net/2.9.2-incubating-RC1/dist/

SVN tag revision:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lucene.net/tags/Lucene.Net_2_9_2

The vote is open for 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least
three +1 Lucene.Net PMC votes are cast.

Please cast your votes!

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Lucene.Net 2.9.2-incubating

Thanks to everyone involved for the hard work and contributions which
made this release possible.

Thanks,
Troy

Re: [Lucene.Net] [VOTE] Release Apache Lucene.Net 2.9.2-incubating-RC1

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
I'll work on implementing those changes.

Regarding directory structure, this was mimicing the previous
releases. I think the theory was that the two .zip files could be
overlayed on the same directory structure and end up with everything
being in the same location as if you'd built from source. That said,
agree that the binary zip should have a more accessible layout.

I'll create a branch and workup a set of RC2 artifacts.

Thanks,
Troy

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-02-25, Troy Howard wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

>> Unless anybody yells I'll put some time aside today to create a patch
>> that fixes the issues in trunk and should hopefully be easy to merge to
>> the 2.9.2 tag/branch and will attach it to LOCENENET-381.

> I'm pretty close to finishing a second release candidate...

I take this as "don't waste your time, I've already done most of it".

> Been busy today/yesterday.

No problem.  I didn't mean to rush you just wanted to lend a hand.

Stefan

Re: [Lucene.Net] [VOTE] Release Apache Lucene.Net 2.9.2-incubating-RC1

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
Stefan,

I'm pretty close to finishing a second release candidate... Been busy
today/yesterday.

Thanks,
Troy

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-02-23, Michael Herndon wrote:

> I'm curious about the practice of putting license information into all
> files. The reasoning and etc.

> Is due to legal reasons or is it due to good practices? would providing
> short copyright info and relative path to the license suffice or is the full
> license required?

The notice you put at the top of each file *is* the short notice 8-)

Just compare it with the full license text.

> Has not doing so cause issues/legal cases in the past?

> This will probably be good information for other developers to know in
> general as well.

For background on the existing policies:

<http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html>

In the past (Apache Software License 1.1) we used to put the full text
(which was way shorter than the 2.0 license) into each file.

One reason that we need to put it into each file is that we may be
combining our code and contributions under a different license into a
combined work and need to mark those where the Apache Software License
applies.

Another is that people looking at the code for a single file will know
immediately about its license.

Note that the ASF only holds the copyright for the distribution as a
whole (the combined work) and not for the individual files.  Each
contributor retains copyright of her/his own work and grants the ASF a
license to redistribute it (via the ICLA).

Stefan

Re: [Lucene.Net] [VOTE] Release Apache Lucene.Net 2.9.2-incubating-RC1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-02-23, Troy Howard wrote:

> Whenever we get our CI server setup, we should probably have a build
> task which checks for licensing in code files and inserts it if it's
> not there.

Buildbot <http://ci.apache.org/buildbot.html> can be set up to create
RAT reports, even for projects that use other CI options for their
actual builds <http://ci.apache.org/projects/>.

You can even check in a file containing the names of files that should
be skipped because you know it won't and can't contain the license.

I wouldn't recommend having a tool add the license automatically, maybe
the file simply isn't licensed using the Apache Software License, maybe
you'd make it useless if you added the license.

Stefan

Re: [Lucene.Net] [VOTE] Release Apache Lucene.Net 2.9.2-incubating-RC1

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
As a side note:

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@o19s.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

[Lucene.Net] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Lucene.Net 2.9.2-incubating-RC1

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
All,

This vote is being closed as not passing due to the valid issues Stefan raised.

Thanks,
Troy