Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Robert Graham <in...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/27 04:17:34 UTC

RefDoc Patch

I would prefer to send out a tarball, but all I have access to right
now is zip so I've been forced to include several files, a
readme, and the patch file of course. I believe this is all you need,
but make sure to check out the readme before trying anything new.

Robert

Re: RefDoc Patch

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Robert,

> ...I would prefer to send out a tarball, but all I have access to right
> now is zip so I've been forced to include several files, a
> readme, and the patch file of course. I believe this is all you need,
> but make sure to check out the readme before trying anything new..

I have applied your patch, with a minor change to the sitemap
(reinstated a pattern="" so that refdoc/ shows the index page), and a
reference to patch-README.txt in the index page. I haven't included the
xconf change, as it might have unwanted side effects on other blocks. I
think this is definitely going in the right direction!

(hint to other community members: you're most welcome to have a look a
this and speak up ;-)

Here are a few comments:

All snippets of the same file which follow an @doktor:key statement
should be assigned the same key. For example all snippets in
AnnotatedClass.java should have the firstExample key, without having to
repeat the key: property in each of them. This will make it easier to
annotate existing files, as most of them will contain snippets for a
single key.

This can be done in XSLT, by looking for the last key: property, for
example. But there might be an easier way.

Regarding the Lucene indexing, I have had a quick look at the querybean
block, and the way it uses the LuceneIndexTransformer looks
interesting. It might be another option to create the index, maybe
easier to configure from the pipeline than the other Lucene-related
components. It would be good if you could have a look at this, and if
we need to improve the existing components from the lucene or querybean
blocks for the needs of refdoc it's also a possibility.

But this can come later, as the indexing is basically working as is -
if you prefer to work on the document assembly (getting the full
snippet content in the assembled documents), no problem.

For the document assembly, the snippets will have to be sorted so that
the final document makes sense. I assume we'll want to order them by
type, starting with type:description, then type:parameter (for
component parameters), then type:example, etc. I don't have a very
precise idea about this at this point, feel free to suggest what you
think makes sense.

Also, we need some concrete snippets to test this on more serious
stuff, do you think you could annotate some of the existing blocks to
have a concrete use case? The jfor, fop and slop blocks come to mind as
they do not contain many files and it wouldn't be too much work to
annotate them, I think.

Thanks very much for your work, It's exciting to see this going forward!

-Bertrand