Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Justin Georgeson <JG...@lgc.com> on 2011/09/29 21:54:25 UTC

[users@httpd] logging and mod_dav

I am setting up a server with mod_dav and have found that when people use something like NetDrive on Windows to mount it as a local drive, the logs are enormous. Copying a CD sized file generates over 600 GET requests. We need to log all the file downloads from and that's going to make it problematic. Just having Windows Explorer open viewing the mounted folder generates a ton of GET requests on the directory. I can at least setup a CustomLog to only log get requests on files within that Directory

SetEnvIf Request_URI /myshare/.*[^/]$ GET_FILE
CustomLog file-requests.log common env=GET_FILE

But it doesn't help with the 600+ GETs for a large file. Ideally I would like a single log line per file download, is there any stateful logging to be smart that X consecutive GETs for a single path, all for sizeof(file)/X bytes, from the same IP constitute a single log event?

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.