Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Enrique Rodríguez <er...@nht-norwick.net> on 2002/08/08 14:44:26 UTC

Very newbie cuestion about soap

I'm starting using SOAP and i have one doubt.

If I have to transfer an xml through SOAP, what is better, send it as
String, or create a data structure with beans, and transfer it to xml with
SOAP??

The xml file standar, it have a DTD that various companies use to transfer
information. Actuilly this files were send by email, and we like to do a web
service that all clients could invoke to obtain the information.

I think that if i send de xml as String, all the clients have to read it as
an XML file, but if I send this information as a JaveBean tranlated to SOAP,
coul be easier for new users of the system, because they don't read XML,
they only have the DATA.

Any ideas???

Am I clear??

Regards, Enrique.

RE: Very newbie cuestion about soap

Posted by Chris Haddad <ha...@cobia.net>.
Enrique – it’s all just a string ☺

The serialization/deserialization feature incorporated by SOAP platforms provides the ability to convert object instances into XML, and then convert the XML document into native objects without writing a lick of code.

If the data is going to hit the business layer as objects, then using the platform to hydrate the objects saves a bunch of hand-coding.

If the data is being manipulated by XML tools (on either side of the databridge) and stays in native form, then passing an XML document (as a string or by using document messaging) is more appropriate.

/Chris