Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by abhayd <aj...@hotmail.com> on 2011/10/08 00:46:57 UTC

is SOLR-2412 production ready?

hi
i need pivot kind of facet functionality but for multipath hierarchy.

I am using 4.0 from trunk. Is this patch production ready? And where can i
see more details/docs on how to use it

Any help on this?

RE: is SOLR-2412 production ready?

Posted by abhayd <aj...@hotmail.com>.

hi toke,
Thanks for looking into it. I think this is a nice and should have  functionality many will use considering limitation of pivot being single path.

Hope it makes it to 4.0

Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 07:27:02 -0700
From: ml-node+s472066n3415858h18@n3.nabble.com
To: ajdabholkar@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: is SOLR-2412 production ready?

	On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 00:55 +0200, abhayd wrote:

> I think i would like to make it work with latest trunk version.

I hope to get it done within two weeks. You can add yourself as a

watcher to the Solr JIRA-issue to get updates.

> I really dont understand the problem u have described in read me file.

> From readme doc it looks like limitation is "decision tree is not useful

> once u re-index solr". I really didn't understand the first limitation

> described.

Whoops. Well, that demonstrates very clearly that we do not use the

patch with Solr in production. Reconsidering, I would determine it not

to be production ready for Solr. Or at least with a severe limitation:

Using the provided functionality, whenever you add or update documents

in Solr, you need to restart Solr to get the changes reflected in the

front end. Of course, restarting Solr is a major inconvenience.

Sorry about that,

Toke

		http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/is-SOLR-2412-production-ready-tp3404326p3415858.html

		To unsubscribe from is SOLR-2412 production ready?, click here.

Re: is SOLR-2412 production ready?

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.

Posted by abhayd <aj...@hotmail.com>.
hi

Thanks for the response.

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.
Hello abhyad,

I can see that you asked the same question on our blog, so I've taken
the liberty to copy my answer to this mailing list so that more people
can benefit from the discussion.

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 00:46 +0200, abhayd wrote:
> i need pivot kind of facet functionality but for multipath hierarchy.
>
> I am using 4.0 from trunk. Is this patch production ready? And where can i
> see more details/docs on how to use it

Production ready? Well, since you’re bold enough to use Solr 4.0 from
trunk, I’d say yes :-)

We’re using Lucene 4.0 trunk + the mentioned faceting patch in
production so the basic functionality seems fairly solid. While the
Solr-code is just a simple wrapper around that and seems to work fine, I
cannot vouch for the stability of that part as we don’t use it actively.

Now, Solr (and Lucene) trunk is a moving target so the patch only works
for a given range of check-outs. If you are still interested, I’ll try
and bring the patch up to speed with the newest truck or a specific
checkout if you have one that you deem reliable.

It might take a few weeks though, there’s a vacation coming up.

Regards,
Toke

Re: is SOLR-2412 production ready?

Posted by abhayd <aj...@hotmail.com>.