Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Andrew Pennebaker <ap...@42six.com> on 2013/08/27 16:52:15 UTC

Tutorials that work with modern Hadoop (v1.x.y)?

There are a number of Hadoop tutorials and textbooks available, but they
always seem to target older versions of Hadoop. Does anyone know of good
tutorials that work with modern Hadoop verions (v1.x.y)?

RE: Tutorials that work with modern Hadoop (v1.x.y)?

Posted by "Smith, Joshua D." <Jo...@gd-ais.com>.
Very helpful link for sorting out Hadoop version numbers. Thank you Harsh.

1.x isn't an ultra modern version. It revises over the 0.20.x releases, which many books carried, and they may still be valid. 2.x is the next major version after 0.20.x/1.x.

The numbers can be confusing, especially after the renaming the project carried out. You can read https://blogs.apache.org/bigtop/entry/all_you_wanted_to_know for some clarity.

--
Harsh J

RE: Tutorials that work with modern Hadoop (v1.x.y)?

Posted by "Smith, Joshua D." <Jo...@gd-ais.com>.

Posted by "Smith, Joshua D." <Jo...@gd-ais.com>.

Posted by "Smith, Joshua D." <Jo...@gd-ais.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Pennebaker <ap...@42six.com>.
In the mean time, I was able to cobble together a working wordcount job.
Hardest parts were installing hadoop and configuring the classpath.

https://github.com/mcandre/hadoop-docs-tutorial#hadoop-docs-tutorial---distributed-wc

Posted by Andrew Pennebaker <ap...@42six.com>.

Posted by Andrew Pennebaker <ap...@42six.com>.

Posted by Andrew Pennebaker <ap...@42six.com>.