Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> on 2015/01/16 15:54:13 UTC

Component+and+Component+Set+Dependencies Drawing

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Component+and+Component+Set+Dependencies
contains a drawing done using Graphviz
Jacques requested that I look at using Gliffy instead.
I had a quick look but Gliffy is requires manual creation and layout of
the artifacts on the drawing and this would be harder to create and
maintain as relationship are added and removed from the application.
I have added a child page called "Drawing Source" with the source for
the image and instructions about how to regenerate the drawing.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: Component+and+Component+Set+Dependencies Drawing

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Thanks.
I agree with your reasons and for some diagrams Gliffy will be a better
choice.
If we go with AsciiDoc, GraphViz is built-in and will become more
familiar to everyone.

There is also a Javascript version of Graphviz so that it is not a bad
tool for generating some types of drawings using the browser to do the
drawing.
This speeds up drawing creation by reducing the amount of bits flowing
and lightens the load on the server since you just send the description
of the relationships rather than the rendered output.
The only drawback is that, so far, the Javascript rendering engine does
not provide a way to make the drawing interactive.

Ron

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.