Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Philippe Gauthier - INSERM SIRH <ph...@tolbiac.inserm.fr> on 2007/06/19 10:51:49 UTC

Using BIRT as xsl-fo xslt UI designer

Hi all,
I don't know if that might interrest some of u, but here we go.
BIRT ( http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/ ) is a reporting system in
java which can use an XML as an input data source.
Usually I create an xsl-t to transform my xml source to xsl-fo and use
fop to render a report.
I noticed the BIRT xml file format (.rptdesign) to be very close to
xsl-fo specification plus some addition and reference to external dataset.
So I created an xsl-t to transform BIRT report file to my usual handmade
xsl-t. I only developped what i needed, so everything is not translate,
but my first results fill my needs.
My non programming coworkers can now easily develop new reports with the
BIRT UI.
If you'r interested I can share this with you.

--
Philippe Gauthier
INSERM

Re: Using BIRT as xsl-fo xslt UI designer

Posted by Philippe Gauthier <ph...@inserm.fr>.
Hello Manfred,

Here is the stylesheet for saxon and Fop 0.20.
Best regards,

Philippe

Posted by Philippe GAUTHIER <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
I did an early work on this one year ago which generated xsl-fo for
FOP 0.20, I can send the project tomorow if ur interested.
But it can only support a basic subset of what birt is capable of
(avoid scripting, cross-tables).
Birt team used to use FOP as their rendering engine (they had xsl-fo
as a possible output format), and they finally dropped it because of
it low performences (I heard).
It would be more wise to also use the rendering of Birt.
Regards,

Philippe