Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Shalom Sagges <sh...@liveperson.com> on 2017/05/16 12:27:11 UTC

Bootstraping a Node With a Newer Version

Hi All,

Hypothetically speaking, let's say I want to upgrade my Cassandra cluster,
but I also want to perform a major upgrade to the kernel of all nodes.
In order to upgrade the kernel, I need to reinstall the server, hence lose
all data on the node.

My question is this, after reinstalling the server with the new kernel, can
I first install the upgraded Cassandra version and then bootstrap it to the
cluster?

Since there's already no data on the node, I wish to skip the agonizing
sstable upgrade process.

Does anyone know if this is doable?

Thanks!

Shalom Sagges
DBA
T: +972-74-700-4035
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/164748> <http://twitter.com/liveperson>
<http://www.facebook.com/LivePersonInc> We Create Meaningful Connections

--
This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this on behalf of the

Re: Bootstraping a Node With a Newer Version

Posted by Shalom Sagges <sh...@liveperson.com>.
Data directories are indeed separated from the root filesystem.
Our System team will look into this and hopefully they will be able to
install the new version seamlessly.

Thanks a lot everyone for your points and guidance. Much appreciated!

<https://liveperson.docsend.com/view/8iiswfp>

Posted by Dor Laor <do...@scylladb.com>.

Posted by Shalom Sagges <sh...@liveperson.com>.
​So you are not upgrading the kernel, you are upgrading the OS.

Sorry Daemeon, my bad. I meant the OS :-)
So what would you recommend, replace a node with a new OS node
with -Dcassandra.replace_address (never tried it before), or try to format
the root directory of the existing node, without touching the data
directory which is on a different vg?

Posted by daemeon reiydelle <da...@gmail.com>.
​So you are not upgrading the kernel, you are upgrading the OS. Not what
you asked about. Your devops team is right.

However, Depending on what is using python, the new version of python may
break older scripts (I do not know, mentioning this, testing required?)
​hen I am doing an OS upgrade (and usually ditto with Hadoop) I ​
add nodes to the cluster at the new OS/HDFS version, decom​​
​mission old nodes, and repeat. The replication takes a bit but zero down
time, etc. Since you don't have a lot of storage per node, I don't think
you will have a lot of high network traffic impacting the performance of
nodes.

*Daemeon C.M. ReiydelleUSA (+1) 415.501.0198London (+44) (0) 20 8144 9872*

Posted by Shalom Sagges <sh...@liveperson.com>.

Posted by daemeon reiydelle <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mateusz Korniak <ma...@ant.gliwice.pl>.
On Tuesday 16 of May 2017 15:27:11 Shalom Sagges wrote:
> My question is this, after reinstalling the server with the new kernel, can
> I first install the upgraded Cassandra version and then bootstrap it to the
> cluster?
No.

Bootstrap/repair may/will not work between nodes with different major
versions.

Mateusz Korniak
"(...) mam brata - poważny, domator, liczykrupa, hipokryta, pobożniś,
 	krótko mówiąc - podpora społeczeństwa."
				Nikos Kazantzakis - "Grek Zorba"

Re: Bootstraping a Node With a Newer Version

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@apache.org>.

On 2017-05-16 05:27 (-0700), Shalom Sagges <sh...@liveperson.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Hypothetically speaking, let's say I want to upgrade my Cassandra cluster,
> but I also want to perform a major upgrade to the kernel of all nodes.
> In order to upgrade the kernel, I need to reinstall the server, hence lose
> all data on the node.

That sounds unpleasant - really the case that you can't upgrade a kernel without wiping data? Even AWS ephemeral instances can handle a reboot in place without ephemeral drive reset?

> My question is this, after reinstalling the server with the new kernel, can
> I first install the upgraded Cassandra version and then bootstrap it to the
> cluster?
>
> Since there's already no data on the node, I wish to skip the agonizing
> sstable upgrade process.
>
> Does anyone know if this is doable?

Not supported, and not generally a good idea.