Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Kragen Sitaker <kr...@canonical.org> on 2002/04/12 22:14:59 UTC

Which free-software JVM to use?

I'm a completely new Java user, so I'm afraid I'm a little unclear on
what's connected to what else.

I want to run Ant, but Kaffe 1.0.5 doesn't seem up to the task.
Has anyone had success running Ant with a different free-software JVM?
There seem to be a bunch, but most of them sound really flaky, don't
support my platform (Linux/x86), or both.

Details follow.

I managed to get Ant 1.4.1 to build with Jikes 1.10, Kaffe 1.0.5, and
GNU Classpath 0.03, with the following command line:

CLASSPATH=/usr/local/classpath/share/classpath JAVAC=/usr/bin/jikes JAVACMD=/usr/bin/kaffe ./bootstrap.sh

It complains then that it can't load kaffe.util.Ptr:
Warning: JAVA_HOME environment variable not set.
  If build fails because sun.* classes could not be found
  you will need to set the JAVA_HOME environment variable
  to the installation directory of java.
... Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
... Compiling Ant Classes
... Copying Required Files
... Building Ant Distribution
Couldn't find or load essential class `kaffe/util/Ptr' java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError kaffe/util/Ptr
./bootstrap.sh: line 122: 16494 Aborted                 "${JAVACMD}" -classpath "${CLASSPATH}" -Dant.home=. org.apache.tools.ant.Main -emacs bootstrap
... Cleaning Up Build Directories
... Done Bootstrapping Ant Distribution

If I add /usr/share/kaffe/Klasses.jar to CLASSPATH, I get a segmentation
fault instead:
Warning: JAVA_HOME environment variable not set.
  If build fails because sun.* classes could not be found
  you will need to set the JAVA_HOME environment variable
  to the installation directory of java.
... Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
... Compiling Ant Classes
... Copying Required Files
... Building Ant Distribution
./bootstrap.sh: line 122: 16509 Segmentation fault      "${JAVACMD}" -classpath "${CLASSPATH}" -Dant.home=. org.apache.tools.ant.Main -emacs bootstrap
... Cleaning Up Build Directories
... Done Bootstrapping Ant Distribution

Setting JAVA_HOME to point to Klasses.jar or a directory where I've
unzipped Klasses.jar doesn't seem to help.

gdb on the core file generated by Kaffe is, perhaps unsurprisingly,
singularly unenlightening.

So I think I should give up on this version of Kaffe.  What should I
use instead?  And please don't recommend the Sun JDK or the IBM JRE ---
I'm not installing proprietary software on my computer unless somebody's
paying me to do it.

Re: Which free-software JVM to use?

Posted by David Goodenough <da...@btconnect.com>.
On Friday 12 April 2002 21:14, you wrote:
> I'm a completely new Java user, so I'm afraid I'm a little unclear on
> what's connected to what else.
>
> I want to run Ant, but Kaffe 1.0.5 doesn't seem up to the task.
> Has anyone had success running Ant with a different free-software JVM?
> There seem to be a bunch, but most of them sound really flaky, don't
> support my platform (Linux/x86), or both.
>
> Details follow.
>
> I managed to get Ant 1.4.1 to build with Jikes 1.10, Kaffe 1.0.5, and
> GNU Classpath 0.03, with the following command line:
>
> CLASSPATH=/usr/local/classpath/share/classpath JAVAC=/usr/bin/jikes
> JAVACMD=/usr/bin/kaffe ./bootstrap.sh
>
> It complains then that it can't load kaffe.util.Ptr:
> Warning: JAVA_HOME environment variable not set.
>   If build fails because sun.* classes could not be found
>   you will need to set the JAVA_HOME environment variable
>   to the installation directory of java.
> ... Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
> ... Compiling Ant Classes
> ... Copying Required Files
> ... Building Ant Distribution
> Couldn't find or load essential class `kaffe/util/Ptr'
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError kaffe/util/Ptr ./bootstrap.sh: line 122:
> 16494 Aborted                 "${JAVACMD}" -classpath "${CLASSPATH}"
> -Dant.home=. org.apache.tools.ant.Main -emacs bootstrap ... Cleaning Up
> Build Directories
> ... Done Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
>
> If I add /usr/share/kaffe/Klasses.jar to CLASSPATH, I get a segmentation
> fault instead:
> Warning: JAVA_HOME environment variable not set.
>   If build fails because sun.* classes could not be found
>   you will need to set the JAVA_HOME environment variable
>   to the installation directory of java.
> ... Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
> ... Compiling Ant Classes
> ... Copying Required Files
> ... Building Ant Distribution
> ./bootstrap.sh: line 122: 16509 Segmentation fault      "${JAVACMD}"
> -classpath "${CLASSPATH}" -Dant.home=. org.apache.tools.ant.Main -emacs
> bootstrap ... Cleaning Up Build Directories
> ... Done Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
>
> Setting JAVA_HOME to point to Klasses.jar or a directory where I've
> unzipped Klasses.jar doesn't seem to help.
>
> gdb on the core file generated by Kaffe is, perhaps unsurprisingly,
> singularly unenlightening.
>
> So I think I should give up on this version of Kaffe.  What should I
> use instead?  And please don't recommend the Sun JDK or the IBM JRE ---
> I'm not installing proprietary software on my computer unless somebody's
> paying me to do it.

You could try compiling with Jikes and then converting the resulting class
files into executable code with GCJ.  The GCJ compiler from source is (or was
last time I looked) a bit back level - I seem to recall it had problems with
inner classes) but the class file to object code gets quite good writeups.
Someone even managed to get Eclipse up recently using it.  GCJ being part
of the GCC compiler suite is as free as they come.

David

Re: Which free-software JVM to use?

Posted by Jason Rizer <ja...@yahoo.com>.
> And please don't recommend the Sun JDK
> or the IBM JRE ---
> I'm not installing proprietary software on my
> computer unless somebody's
> paying me to do it.

I have to ask:  Why not?